So, What Really Happened Last Week?

Judging by the number of threads on this topic here and elsewhere, many novice traders (and probably quite a few of the relatively tenured) were taken to the woodshed last week. I don’t presume to know exactly why; but still the question begs an answer: why?

Was it because oil was still going up? No. Oil had lost over 10% off of it’s high before the dollar began it’s descent on July 22: $WTIC - SharpCharts from StockCharts.com

Was it because gold was still going up? No. Gold had lost almost 10% off of it’s recent high @ ~980/oz. before July 22: $GOLD - SharpCharts from StockCharts.com

Was it because of the magnificient economic expansion currently unfolding in the UK, Japan, Switzerland, the Euro Zone?

Was it the FOMC, the MPC, the ECB? Did Tricky Trichet’s jawbone wear out?

Or was it because the notion of shorting the USD based on a shoddy patchwork of generic, reactive fundamental assumptions had so insinuated itself into the mass consciousness shared by many private retail traders that the idea of actually going long USD was virtually unthinkable?

Maybe some of each. But I’ll focus on the last point.

This isn’t witchcraft: the market doesn’t play tricks. Did “the charts” foreshadow this move? That’s in the eye of the beholder, perhaps: it may depend on what one were looking at and what one looked past. Certainly no trader can say oil or gold didn’t tip them off. Any trader who uncritically ascribes to the prevailing directional bias for a currency that has been adopted as the apparent consensus of “the market” will be astounded again and again as the instrument they trade behaves “irrationally”.

Reasons? There are quite a few, many deriving from theory about the psychology of crowds, for which there are good books out there on the subject and a fine laboratory (your brokerage account) for observation at your disposal. It all boils down to a couple discrete items, though:

1. Market manias, big or small, are engendered and perpetuated by lack of historical reflectivity and limited analytical scope. Put another way, crowds induce a compulsion toward conformity among their members through a variety of pressures or perceived benefits. As an example, where USD-negative sentiment seems almost unanimous among others, hopping aboard the bandwagon provides reassurance and seems to be the only rational perspective - even when maintaining this perspective can have adverse consequences. The advantage of the small trader as a nimble and autonomous agent in the market is at least partly nullified. Analytical rigor goes out the window in favor of varying degrees of passive assent to the “analysis” of others. Not a bad argument for the conscious practice of selective market-related ignorance. Just ask all those guys who remained glued to CNBC 6-7 years ago as their retirement assets vanished during the dot-com bust, deriving comfort from all those bottom-calling commentators.

2. Fair value v. perceived value: what is the fair value of USD v. the EUR, the GBP, the YEN, the CAD, etc.? Disagreement over this point makes the market in which we trade. What better resource to gauge perceived value than the market itself? But, traders - for various reasons - are often deluded, insisting on asserting their own perception of fair value vis-a-vis naked market behavior. This is often where bottom (or top) picking comes into play. Combined with a scenario similar to that depicted in #1, this can end up quite ugly. Expressions put forth by any trader such as “It surely can’t go down any further than [I]this[/I]” and such practices as buying at support with a very liberal or no stop loss because you’re “all but certain” price will bounce are examples of the delusional superimposition of opinion onto the wider market as objective fact.

Underlying both of these, not surprisingly, is a certain brand of hubris: false confidence in and reliance upon the market crowd (highly notorious for proving itself as truly pitiful at forecasting or behaving rationally), as well as one’s own privileged ability to surmise (usually from a very small to nonexistent body of data) where a currency [I]ought[/I] to go based off of it’s fair value relative to some other currency. There are other reasons, but these are always present in any market in any context where the “impossible” or “highly improbable” suddenly happens. Humility before the market, on the other hand, brings with it adaptability to changing conditions and the opportunity to exploit and follow emerging trends wherever they lead rather than anticipating continuations or reversals where they aren’t likely to occur.

Applaud Applaud Applaud:):):):slight_smile:

Excellent, as usual! BP won’t let me give you any more reputation at the moment, says I have to “spread it around” :smiley:

In other words … price action above all! Follow where your currency of choice is leading not where you think it should go. :cool:

There was one experiment about crowd behavior.
A guy was standing in the street and watching up,in the sky.People went by him and have not payed attention on him.
Later on they added more people to the experiment.So now they had about 10 to 15 people staying in the street and watching the sky.They had a crowd out there.And guess what!?
Almost everybody who have saw them watching the sky have looked up and most of them have jointed the crowd to check what is going on.:smiley:
Sometimes we tend to act as majority does so i think same is with the markets.
Alex Elder have described this issue very well in his books…:cool:
Nice thread,Andrew!
Regards,
VingTsunKuen

You reminded me of a trick that some people used to play when I was a kid in Southern California … out on highways that were fairly well travelled but not crowded like today’s freeways. Someone would stop their car near a cliff or part of the road where the land went steeply down. They would get out of the car and take a rope with them, go to the side of the cliff or incline and stand there looking down, holding the rope. Within a few minutes, cars would be stopping, people getting out and looking. After another few minutes, the original person would just drive off … and often for an hour or more afterwards, people would be stopping and asking others what was going on & of course no one knew :smiley:

Well, thanks for the props anyway. :wink:

You put it nicely there. There is no other way but to conduct one’s analysis subjectively, which means we’re always fighting thoughts about which way we [I]feel[/I] a pair [I]should[/I] go, when “should” really has nothing to do with it.

Read a basic description of a motive wave in Elliott Wave analysis: wave 5 is usually described as the period during which the larger market - finally! - comes into alignment with the direction the pair/contract/stock/whatever is going; but many of those bidding price up in wave 5 are part of the mania, the touch of madness that has everyone and their brother joining the party a bit too late, albeit with a feeling of giddiness and delusions of great profit. Not too much later, they’re likely to be the ones holding the bag! :eek:

I don’t know if the last leg up on the EUR/USD was a wave 5: my technical methodology doesn’t include EW. But, the concept is dead on-target; and it’s no mistake that Robert Prechter (preeminent EW theorist) locates EW within the larger discipline of Socionomics. Is it a bunch of nonsense? I’ll leave that up to those who try to use EW: “Test everything; hold onto the good”. But the observations made about wave 5 and the trouble many had last week aren’t coincidental.

The alternative to assuming the market knows what it’s talking about (yes, thousands/millions of people can be wrong and are wrong often: at least one person was wrong the last time you had a winning trade) and presuming you know the fair value of the currencies you are trading (meaning you trade counter-trend because the market will take a definitive turn here) is not always obvious. Discipline is necessary; and often discipline must be applied in a way people don’t think of: resisting conformity to the crowd itself. Luckily if you do, they won’t rise up to raze your house and skewer you with pitchforks. Such are the benefits of trading in the comfort of one’s own home/coffeeshop of choice/etc.

Subordinate your desire for profits, to maintain a noteworthy win % etc. to first just wanting what the market wants: abasing your premonitions, directional prejudices and even well-grounded analyses of the market to the sole arbiter in each case: the market itself. [I]Then[/I] analyze. For some, this will greatly alter how, when and why they trade. They may retain whatever system/method they use, or strip their charts to nothing but/almost nothing but price action to be closer to what they’re trading. The point again, really, is humility before this dispassionate “thing” that has the capacity to make or break you if you allow it.

Great example. Once you really begin to notice things like this, going to malls, sporting events, parties etc. present an endless array of situations where you see this type of thing play out.

And yes, Elder has some great material on the topic - highly recommended!