Lower High and Higher low

I’ve tried to look for the meaning of “lower high” and " Higher low" I couldn’t find it anywhere. can someone explain for this newbie please? if you have a picture it will be great :smiley:

P.S. this is the first time I post in here. please excuse my english. I’m from Thailand. Also Hello to everyone :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think that what they are talking about is the highs on the chart over a certain amount of time. Highest Highs would be obviously the highest point that price reached. I think Lowest High is directly under that like an average range of price highs that were under the HH. I think Highest Low is the same as well just in reverse. I don’t have a chart handy at the moment so I hope a veteran trader will jump in here and help us out. Please don’t take my word for it as I am still new to trading also. Sorry I can’t be more help. Happy Trading, Raven

See the thumb nail below, this was taken from the http://forums.babypips.com/free-forex-trading-systems/6632-alternative-technical-templates-77.html thread. The forex markets do not print
in straight lines but in a series of “peaks & troughs” high & lows.

For an up trend to exist the candles need to be printing in a series of higher
highs & higher lows.

2 Likes

The example below clearly shows price action trending to the upside. It�s displaying stair step type behavior, where the previous high steps are continually being scaled & the previous low ledges are maintaining their uniformity?

It highlights the fact that buyers are in command of this price chart & every time price action descends from it�s high point (HH), it attracts continued support or participation from buyers, thus maintaining the directional flow of money into the instrument.

The 1st signs that this trend or buying bias is beginning to slow down comes when prices fail to extend the �stair step� behavior, highlighted by the shaded area�s.

Buyers are now either taking a little profit off the table & consolidating their positions, or active sellers are stepping in to halt the upside momentum.

This type of behavior will result in prices moving into range type mode, where the highs & lows begin to contradict & form irregular patterns, as in the example below.

Note how the price action now exhibits a choppy, non-trending type behavior? Prices are neither moving in a clear upside or downside bias. Buyers & sellers are more or less cancelling themselves out & are in agreement that this area represents fair value for the time being.

The first signs that buyers are overcoming sellers or vice versa, will be when the price action once more begins to display the type of behavior seen in the 1st example above.

Thank you everyone:D

Mr. TRO teach that lower low mean uptrade ovor and higher hi mean down trend over.

I definitely wouldn’t agree with that statement at all. Obviously it greatly depends upon which timeframe that comment is aimed at.

Sometimes it can be an accurate observation, other times totally incorrect.

Prices very often makes higher highs & higher lows on say an hourly timeframe (in an uptrend), stall out temporarily & print a lower high & lower low, only to reverse quickly & continue in it’s original direction. Does that indicate the dominant trend is done?

No.

It simply means that in the short term traders have consolidated their profits & are assessing the conditions.

You can’t make sweeping statements like the one you quoted & expect to build any kind of solid plan around it. Trading doesn’t work like that in the real world unfortunately.

I’ll back up my comments by hauling up this game play to better explain what I mean.

There are examples of contradictory price action out there all the time, & it�s not exclusive to any particular timeframe either.

You can�t insulate yourself from being whipsawed out of minor price irregularities, but you can better prepare yourself for it if you possess a broad appreciation of the wider picture.

Point in question being this AUDUSD hourly view from earlier this month. If you took TRO�s comments to heart, then you�d have given up the ghost on the downtrend as price backed away from the circled area (failing to make a lower low) & printed a series of higher high & higher low on the 60 minute timeframe.

Did that signal the end of the downtrend?

No. There was still a little more juice left in that tank as you can see by the example below. The highlighted squared area shows price action actually resumed it�s original bias until it butted stiffer support lower down the ladder. How would you have summized that??

One way would be to always be aware of what�s occurring via the wider view. The weekly timeframe clearly focuses the .7800 level as a pretty solid s&r zone wouldn�t you think?

It�s not a guarantee that events will play out exactly as they did previously, but when things fail to pan out as you anticipated, at least you got a reference point to maybe assist in offering an alternative view?

Point is, don�t take everything you read & hear on a public bulletin board as gospel. Check it out first & ensure you confirm for yourself that what you read stands up to inspection. If it doesn�t, then always ensure you possess a back-up plan to pull out of your pocket.

Jim makes some important & very valid points in that post. Just because price prints a higher high & a corresponding higher low in a perceived downtrend, doesn�t mean the dominant bias is over.

It also doesn�t necessarily mean you can�t trade the opposite view.

If you�ve got a plan for identifying & managing that scenario, then as long as you can locate adequate risk, you can take it on.

The higher high/higher low (& vice versa) steps can offer pretty cool risk-reward shots on the lower timeframes if you can plot potential upside/downside targets as well as realistic stop-loss (risk) placement in case it fakes you out.

Picking up from Jim�s circled area on his 60min frame around the 11th-12th, if you drill down into the 15min & allow the price action to pan out a while, you can better prepare for a potential �long� against the main trend thrust.

Sure, price needs to prove itself, but if you hang your hat on this peak-trough behavior stuff & it affords you a sensible risk angle then the choice is yours as far as taking it on.

There�s certainly sufficient upside room to allow for a 100-150 pip hike to the previous swing high @ .8130. So, a risk measure of approx 30pips off that outside bar trigger at that higher low pullback level (highlighted inside the square), offers up a potential 1:3 or 1:4.5 shot, depending on your trade management skills.

If you�re one of James� 40-100 IB strategy disciples, then you had yourself multiple opportunities to compound or add-in along the way as the price action opened out.

As Jim say�s, be careful bout taking comments on face value. Unless you know exactly what the poster is trying to impart, it leaves comments open to mis-interpretation - & that can cost you an awful lot of lost time, opportunities & money.

Thank you Raven. Even without a chart but I clearly understood than looking at the charts. I am a Tanzania by the way.
Nice trade, Leon.