MT4 Platform user guide

I’m a newbie. I’m testing my system on MT4 platform. I have problem with the way MT4 do the charting. Can anyone show me an excellent user guide?
Can we modify the way they plot MACD or RSI?
Thanks

PS. by the way, is there an easier way to print babypips school stuff? I do not want to waste paper on the advertisements and the table of content.:confused:

I don�t know where did you get your MT4, but where I got it I found the user guide in the web site, so check it if you don�t know, If you got it from Tradeview this can help
MT4 Users Guide: Help/help topics or press the F1 to access
MT4 Editor Guide: Tools/Metaquotes language editor / help / help topics

You can find that in your software, somewhere can be. Try with help tool. But what my friend Kataley said is true.

Thanks. I found that help but it did not show me the way to change the way MT4 plot the MACD or RSI. I was looking for different way to plot. I prefer the plot to look like what was shown in Babypip school.

Hi piplotus,

The MACD indicator that comes built in the MT4 platform is a lot different to the popular form. I really don’t know why it is the way it is…but it is.
The MT4 version plots the Main Line as a histogram and it uses a simple moving average to generate the signal line (all other forms I have seen use an Exponential MA).

I have attached a version that will supply you with the traditional MACD (just like the one in BP school).

This is what you will need to do:
Download the attached zip file.
unzip that file and place the contents (2 files) into your /MetaTrader/experts/indicators/ folder
Close metatrader and then re-open it.
open the navigator in the metatrader terminal (it is the folder icon with the star on the toolbar)
look under custom indicators, find MACD complete - then drag it to your chart.

Now for the RSI I think the indicator itself is good but you may need to change the settings to get the same levels plotted as babypips school:

With the RSI on the chart…
right click the chart and select “indicator list”.
double click on RSI
select the “levels” tab and change/add/delete levels as you see fit.

Hope this helps.

Happy trading. :smiley:

MACD_Complete.zip (3.13 KB)

Will MT4 work with Linux?

Hi Shane,
you are wonderful. Itried what you told me to and it work perfectly But (always a BUT) when i reopen MT4 I could not find MACD complate under the indicator folder but some how it’s under the custom indicator folder (even though the actual file is stored in indicators folder. But that is no problem… as long as when I drag it in the two lines does appear. Thanks a lot for showing me the trick. Happy trading partner.

I think there ain�t really a MT4 manual, the best way you learn how to use it is practicing, going to every place you see on the screen without fear because you think you can screw something up. Just push everywhere, it won�t bit you. You can also stick to the forums and ask any kind of questions that you have.

have been playing with mt4 and can’t find way back to square one. is there a “panic” button? thanx 4 anything, txtrky

What needs to be set back? Maybe I can help you in the right direction with different things that may need a quick change.

Start by closing out all the open charts and opening a new one. Open the chart options and make any changes you need in there as per colors and such.

If it’s too much work, you could just uninstall and reinstall the software.

soul786-of course, close out charts. somehow i thought they would be saved and effect others. not very computer savvy. about mt4 order entries, would you recommend or should i get program specifically for that, if there is one? as you can tell, i am fubar. thank you

For order entries, I use shortcuts so hit F9 and it’ll bring up the order menu. From there choose to buy or sell, set stop losses and take profits etc.

It’s the best way I think.

You can look into EA’s but that’s a whole different ball game. EAs are systems designed by others that will automatically trade for you. Essentially you turn them on and let them do their thing. I don’t recommend this however as many are scams and it’s much better to learn how to place trades yourself. It’s much more rewarding also.

Check out the other sections of these forums on babypips about trading systems and strategies. Find one that makes sense to you and give it a shot on demo. That’s how I’ve started not more than two months ago.

If you are using MT4 through IBFX, then you can get the “traditional” MACD from their website. Just go there, click on Trading Tools, and observe the menu that drops down on the left-side of your screen. You will see “MACD Traditional”----download it. When done, turn off your IBFX platform, then when you turn it back on you will find the Traditional MACD in the “Custom Indicators” menu.

Piece-of-cake

Potaire