Indicators conflict!

im still using a forex practice account. now while using a (1m, 5m & 30m) time frames and comparing the indicators sometimes i get complete opposite indicators on each frame.!! since those are my rules frames i try to stick with them but i really dont know what to do in such cases!! shall i wait until all my indicators on all frames tell me the same or just go with my sense!!

ofcourse the same can occur on any other frames

any suggestions!?

the reason why your indicators are all different for different timeframes is because in each time-frame there is a different trend.

indicators are calculated using the bars for that particular time-frame. So maybe in 5 minute it’s trending up but on the 30 minute it’s just retracing before continuing a longer down trend.

It’s best to trade in the same direction. So wait for both 5 minute and 30 minute to trend the same way in your indicators and place a trade.

you’ll end up with more positive trades like this than trying to find an indicator that doesn’t change when the time frame does.

oooooops — very good advice virtecs but for a wee little something down there on the bottom — while “lining up your ducks in a row” (indicators on ALL timeframes trending the same way) is CERTAINLY the way to go, there are hundreds of trades happening on EACH timeframe until that point, which is usually late in the cycle and just prior to a reversal or run.

BUT, as you say, the indicator is indicating for THAT TIMEFRAME, and if one wants to trade the 5 minute or 15 minute, independent of the others, they should be following the indicator FOR THAT TIMEFRAME — anything other would be suicide !

enjoy and trade well

mp

If you think it’s called conflict, then you don’t really know your indicator and how it works. Seems you just copy somebody’s idea without proper learning. Go back and study some more.

lol, IDR relax dude im just a beginner you are not getting paid by reply’en to my post so u could just ignore it.

Thx Virtecs i like your advice and thats what im working on now… i relay much on the 1min frame practicing the quick (in & out)s

if one is “scalping” the one minute, very different concepts enter the situation. The absolute BEST way is to have a tick/range chart and a one min chart. one then uses the 5 min chart for trend direction and can glance at the 15, although thats really a “save my butt” timeframe for what you MAY believe is a one min trade gone bad.

i trade the one minute CONSTANTLY while holding longer timeframe trades also, so KNOWING where the price is heading is of utmost importance or I become just another broken and bleeding body lying in the gutter of failure !

but i make pretty much 340 pips per day per account and find myself upright and NOT in the gutter for a few years now, so i have a pretty good idea of the old “in and out” (so to speak)

its all a matter of looking and seeing where strong support and resistance lay, plus the indicators NOT for entries but rather for STRENGTH of move, so you have a good idea of whether momentum is dying, which then allows you to seek the proper resistance area, place your tp and get out cleanly.

a few indicators of some value FOR THE PURPOSE OF MEASURING STRENGTH, are all one needs because they are far superior to “price action” which can fool you constantly with “fake” reversal candles and retracements.

Scalping is a joy, for me at least, cause it releaves boredom and gets the pulse going after watching a currency sitting still for a while.

best o luck and skill

mp

[I][B]Within the great hall at Elfinore stands a wondrous coffer, precisely four cubits square and securely latched against the outside world. Inside that repository, shut away from impertinent eyes, abides many an intriquing trading secret garnered from around the world and over the ages !

As a child, i used to watch from the darkness as the secrets were debated and annotated by the elders. No one there held a single thought of my presence – BUT I KNOW WHERE THEY HID THE KEY !!
[/B][/I]

What, you scared by what you see in my post? Cos you don’t see what you want to see in it? Well, that’s forex trading, dude. You just have to see what you have to see to win, not what you want to see.

Why couldn’t it be considered conflict? He described it well. Don’t confuse yourself into thinking knowledge of terminology defines one’s skill in forex.

And why couldn’t he mimic another person’s strategy? It’s quite common. How I trade today is only a result of the various systems and methods I’ve seen over the last two years.

granted, im an old fool, but i really dislike hearing the word “dude”, which is also no longer being used in most civilized parts of the planet — its SO 2004 !

mp

badda bing !

can anyone analyze this portion of the EURO/DR chart, i’ve spotted this one yesterday got a nice profit from going short at 13:9PM. although i couldn’t link my indicators or what i’ve learned so far with what happened next!. is there any explanation?

Evening star formed at the upper Bollinger Band. That’s a bearish sign. I’d almost trade on that alone. Confirmation was both stochastic and RSI as both were hitting their overbought levels.

Hi Everyone,
Brand new to your forum, and a beginner in forex trading too. When I inserted a MACD indicator onto a chart (MT4) I was surprsed to see only one curve, not the two curves as shown on your Babypips example. I understand it’s quite difficult to define a crossover point with only one curve!
he Parameters tb has Fast EMA 12, SLow EMA 26 MACD SMA9 and Applied to Close.
On the COlours tab, the signal colour red) is the only one that shows on the chart - the Main colour (yellow) does not show.

Can anyone please explain how or where I can get the 2nd curve to show up, or am I looking for something that doesn’t exist!?

BTW, I’m disppointed at the derogatory nature of some previous comments. This is what has caused me to leave some other forums, so let’s keep things friendly and objective and leave the snide comments on the cutting room floor, please? “Let those without sin cast the first stone”!

Thanks

Using the indicators to deal is not that awful but managing and coming up for a dozen indicators to have the same opinion is time consuming and puzzling. Specializing and satisfying your analysis by simplifying the tools you are using is easier and does not approach with disadvantages, what do you people think?

i think using too many indicators definitely mixes up the brain and make you feel like willing commit suicide.

but while you are onthe search for the ideal indicators for your system you will have to go through most indicators, as soon as you find your magic combination thats when you should relax.

If I am looking at the right place, the 3rd candle in the ESP is hyoooooge. Theoretically… wouldent that be a hard trade to catch? Cause rule of thumb dont trade on a candle that has not closed yet?

I like indicator traders!! :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

They trade with a handicap, that is, delayed data.

We need lots of these traders.

Then I, trading with candlesticks, can take your money!! :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

I am going to make a series of posts here.

[U]They are not meant to rubbish indicator traders[/U].

But they are designed to make you [B]think!![/B]

So you want to trade indicators eh ?

What about the time honoured MACD ?

Well, then, have a look at this :stuck_out_tongue: >>>

By tymen1 at 2008-02-26

[B]Comments welcome. Wait for the next chart[/B]. :smiley: :smiley:

[B]And now the result of the chart![/B] :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

By tymen1 at 2008-02-26

[B]Comments invited.Wait for the next post. [/B]

[B]OK lets try again with an indicator to see if they are any good. MACD - going long[/B]

By tymen1 at 2008-02-26

[B]Comments ? Wait for next post. [/B]