What exactly are the resistance and support pivot points?

I have only been trading for a couple weeks and I am still learning new things every day, so for example today I learned about the resistance and support levels/points. As I am understanding it, support point is a rate at which the currency pair will find it hard to break under. But if it does break past down the support point, it will most likely go down to the next lower support point and try to break it. If it doesn’t break it, a trend reversal might occur and the currency pair may start going back up.
That’s my understanding of it so far. Is that how it is?

basically like this…

but note it is only [I]MAY [/I]…

it doesnt always happen for example after touching a support, it may go up a little and back down again to “test” it …

I think you are confusing Pivot Points and Support & Resistance lines. Pivots are a calculation, see the “Tools” tab at the top of BP’s opening page. S&R are lines that traders draw based on what they see as areas of, naturally, suppport and resistance. P.P. have built into the calculation S/R lines and plotted automatically unless you change or delete the setting. BP school has discussions on both. d.

yap… pivots are calculations… S/R are from price action…

as a guide , S/R on long time frame are supposed to be “stronger”