So why is the trading closed on weekends?

I understand that the market (JP, GB, & US) are closed for the weekend but why does trading have to stop?

trading technically doesn’t stop of the weekends. However because most of the world is on weekend, volatility is very low so there’s not much movement.

Also, on the weekends because of low volatility, brokers will jack up their spreads which makes it unfriendly to trade.

If you watch, many times on sundays when feeds get updated you’ll often times see a gap from friday to sunday. This is because although most weren’t trading, some where which can cause a gap.

Best bet is to stay out of the market from friday mid-day to sunday night.

Hmm…then why is my broker (FXCM Micro) account closed on weekends? Friday 4pm till Sunday 5:15pm.

More then anything else I’d like to login and see how my positions are doing, but due to their “maintenance” I can’t login during the weekend hours.

Which broker/platform’s allow trading on/login on weekends?

Like Virtecs said, trading technically doesn’t stop on the weekends. Oanda let’s you trade on the weekends, but the spreads usually go up to 20+ and the prices can go for hours and only move one or two pips because of low volume.

Thank you both for your responses!

ya. Because of the low volatility most brokers will close their platforms for the weekend. But some, like Oanda, will allow you to place trades during weekend hours. I just think that’s suicide. You make money because of volatility in a currency pair. If there’s no volatility then you won’t make any money.

The volatility makes sense. I just can’t wait till Sunday evening :slight_smile:

But some Brokers don’t let you trade on Weekends or they close all of your pending orders on Friday…? Am I right? I might be mixed up… it’s coz of the information that I am trying to stuck in my brain, all of it regarding Forex, needless to say I am new to this whole thing…:stuck_out_tongue:

Trading doesn’t stop period. We can say slow movement in trading but it doesn’t mean it stop.