How to compile a mq4 file to form an exe4?

How do you use the compiler in MQ4 to create exe.4 files to use?Specifically to use some custom indicators on MQ4
charts.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Personally I have no idea, but it might be a good idea to post your question in this section: Expert Advisors and Automated Trading

I’ve done it with EAs, for an indicator you have to put it in the indicator folder, inside the experts folder which is inside the folder where your metatrader is located. All that is under programs folder on your C drive.

if you double click on the mq4 object (looks like a yellow diamond with an exclamation point inside) then the source code comes up. click on compile on the top of the screen. at the bottom of the screen it will show you if you have any errors. This creates the ex4 object.

then close and restart your metatrader and the indicator should be there available for use.

works the same way with EAs but they go directly into the experts folder

I’m no expert by the way, hope that’s not too confusing

Hi,
Without knowing if you know [B]how[/B] to code in mql, once you’ve written your code or modified/have someone else’s code (.mq4 file extension) it is usually compiled in metaquotes editor. In there you simply click the “Compile” button and it will make the .ex4 file (as long as there are no syntax errors :wink: )

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Hey TalonD,
Just a tip, when you successfully compile an indicator or EA, it will automatically show up accordingly in the navigator window so you don’t have to close and restart MT4…:wink:

Thanks sweetpip, everything I read said close it and restart so I’ve been doing that. Didn’t even think to try it without doing that.

You’re welcome. Yes if you just copy an ex4 file to the appropriate directory/folder, then you do have to close and restart, but not if you compile it.

I’ve worked with so many different softwares over the years that I’m always on the lookout for shortcuts…lol…and I’m still learning new ones all the time too.

:slight_smile: