London Breakout Strategy --- Time Table

[B]This thread is intended as a resource for those trading the London Breakout Strategy on the Win Ratio thread. [/B]

Daylight Saving Time / Standard Time — Changes Coming This Fall.

During the second half of 2009, countries around the world will go onto, or off of, daylight saving time on 14 different dates. Fortunately, we have to be concerned with only 4 of those dates:

September 27 — [B]New Zealand[/B] will go onto southern hemisphere daylight saving time

October 4 — southeastern [B]Australia[/B] (Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra, etc.) will go onto southern hemisphere DST

October 25 —[B] Europe and Great Britain[/B] will return to standard time

November 1 — [B]the U.S. and Canada[/B] will return to standard time

In Asia, the major forex players (Japan, Singapore, and Hong Kong) and the minor players (Korea, Taiwan and China) all remain
on standard time year-round.

The next post on this thread will be a repeat of Post #1022 on the Win Ratio thread. It will show a table of times (in 12 time zones) for the London Breakout Strategy “overnight period”. The table will be current through the end of this week.

On Friday (9/25) of this week, I will edit the table to update it for the New Zealand changes occurring next Sunday (9/27).
Then, prior to the October 4, October 25 and November 1 change-over dates, I will edit the table three more times to update it
for changes occurring on those dates.

Clint

p.s. —[B] DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME FACTOIDS:[/B]

The South Pole observes daylight saving time, but most of Antarctica does not. During southern hemisphere summer,
the sun never sets at the South Pole, but they have daylight saving time. How nutty is that?!

Egypt observes daylight saving time from late April until late August. Why do they even bother?

9/25/09 — Edit: This Table is out-of-date. See post #7 on this thread for the updated Table.

Thank you very much for the helpful information. Keeping track of the time frames is so confusing.

cle

1 Like

good info, I have trouble keeping times straight especially since I have two different demo accounts in different time zones

[B]cle and Mike,[/B]

Thanks for the [I]thank you’s.[/I]

[B]Mike, [/B]

Another new avatar? I’m enjoying the tour of your family album!

:smiley:
the first was from a 1940s dance with big band music. But I wanted a better one so this is me slidin my old dobro

The London Breakout Strategy is based on two time periods in the trading day of the GBP/USD pair:

B[/B] a 10-hour “Overnight Period”, which roughly overlaps the Asian session, during which the GBP/USD typically consolidates
in a narrow price range, and

B[/B] a Breakout Period which can occur anytime in the 5 hours, or so, following the Overnight Period, but typically occurs around the start of the business day in either Zurich or London.

Each night, we analyze the breakout opportunities for the next morning, and we do this analysis during the 10-hour Overnight Period. Then, at the end of the Overnight Period, we place entry orders for the breakouts we anticipate during the following morning.

The Overnight Period is the key to this strategy, and knowing the correct starting and ending times for the Overnight Period
is essential.

This Table has been updated to include time changes in effect in North America
beginning Sunday, November 1, 2009. These changes are highlighted in red.