Question about pips and points and more

I have demo accounts with IBFX and Alpari.

I have, on both demos, a $1000 USD account.

I take a 1 lot position on GBPUSD simultaneously on both these demos.

at the same pip value the profit on Alpari is $1-00 per pip and on IBFX it is $0-10 per pip

What is the difference between a pip and a point? I think a point is 1/10 th pip, however I heve seen somewhere that the 2 terms may be used interchangeably.

Does anybody have an opinion on this, please?

It looks like the Alpari account is a mini account, and the one on IBFX is a micro.

Remember that 1 lot is a different amount on different account types. :slight_smile:

Is it because of a 4 decimal versus a 5 decimal order method
example 1.5772 1.57726?

.0010 pips = .00100 pips ?

Thanks D-pip, both these companies quote on 5 decimals, so that’s not it.

and thanks phil-383. what you say probably explain it, I find it hard to believe though, that one account only produces 10% of the return of the other!

why would micro accounts be so badly penalised? will one be able to build it up?

I think using a micro account is pointless unless you want to use it as a high risk demo account.

The micro account isn’t being penalized at all. It’s just that 1 lot is less money on a micro account.

When you trade 1 lot on the mini account you are trading $10,000, but when you trade 1 lot on the micro account you are only trading $1000. You can trade the same amount on each account if you want, just trade 1 mini lot and 10 micro lots… Then you are trading $10,000 on each account. :slight_smile:

Thanks again guys!

I found the problem == mini account!

Changed to Standard account - pip profits changed

as you say multiple trades should fix the problem however, the margin requirement also jumped from $200 to $1000

I think I will have to move on on this one and stick with alpari for now

As a percentage my biggest loss was 120%. Yes, you heard me right. I was way over exposed and hadn’t hedged my position over the weekend and price gapped down on the EUR/CHF past the all time lows about 300 pips or so.That was my worst.i was not trading with using the Money managements. I had made that time my biggest mistake also and i have since then learned a lot. What is more important to me now is the fact that i want to make less profits and less loss. What you think about this?