How to post charts on this forum - upgraded

I have come across quite a few people (especially people new to this forum) who seek to know how to put a full size chart on this forum.

As far a I know - and I have been here as one of the longest posters - no one has ever given instructions for this work.

So, for the first time ever, I am going to post here full, step by step, simple instructions on how to post a chart or picture on this forum.

I trust it will be of help to all those who need it. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

[B]HOW TO DOWNLOAD CHARTS ON THE FORUM[/B]

There are 3 stages in this operation ;

1. Process you picture in [B]Microsoft Paint.[/B]

2. Load into [B]Photobucket[/B].

3. Load picture from [B]Photobucket [/B]into your forum post.

[B][U]Stage 1 Processing your picture.[/U][/B]

1. Open a new file in My Documents and call it Forum Charts (or similar).

2. With you chart/picture on the screen, press print screen on the keyboard.

3. Open Microsoft Paint and click edit/paste.

4. By becoming familiar with the Paint program, you can do all sorts of editing, such as coloring, adding text, drawing arrows, erasing etc.

5. When you have finished editing, you can choose from 1 of 2 options…

a) [B]Load the picture slowly but larger[/B]  by [U]saving [/U]the picture directly into your [U]Forum Charts file.[/U]

b) [B]Load the picture fast[/B] by [U]saving [/U]the full size picture as above.

Then click [U]image/stretch-skew[/U] and reduce the picture size both horizontal and vertical to 54% then [U]save [/U]the reduced picture into your [U]Forum Charts file.[/U].

(In option (b) it is IMPORTANT that you save the original picture first, otherwise the reduced picture will lose a great deal of clarity).

[B][U]Stage 2 Loading your pictures into the image server.[/U][/B]

1. Go to the [B]Photobucket [/B]website.

2. Register as required and [U]login[/U].

3)Familiarise yourself with its operation.
While familiarising, click on [U](more options)[/U] directly underneath [U]Upload Images and Videos. [/U]

A chart of sizes will appear.
[U]Click 17” screen[/U] then [U]save[/U].
(IMPORTANT - this is a one off operation only.).

1. Now click [U]Upload Images and Videos[/U] from [U]my computer. [/U]

2. A My Documents window will appear.
    Navigate to your [U]Forum Charts file[/U] and click the chosen picture.
    The picture will automatically upload.
    (a timer will appear showing you the state of your upload).

3. When finished, the pictures will appear at the bottom complete with title and [U]image code.[/U]

[B][U]Stage 3 Downloading the pictures onto the forum.[/U][/B]

1. Click the [U]image code[/U] underneath your loaded picture.

2. [U]Copy/paste[/U] it into your forum post.

3. [B]You are finished.[/B]

[B]END.[/B]

thanks Tymen, I’ve been uploading small .jpg thumnails and they are hard to see the detail.

An alternative would be to use SnagIt as your screen capture & TinyPic as the loading program, which can be copy/pasted straight into the body of your post.

They’re both self explanatory & very easy to use. SnagIt is an incredibly versatile program & popular with bulletin board posters.

I’d post a link to them, but unfortunately I’m unable to due to the rules.

They’re easily googled.

This is for Mac users.

To print screen you press apple + shift + 3 and that’ll put the image on your desk.

If you want to print only a portion of your screen then press apple + shift + 4 and then you select the area you want to photograph. Again your image will be on your desktop.

Hope that helps

Hi, Carly

I agree with you about Snag-It. I picked up an older version (7.2.5) of Snag-It for free, several months ago, during a TechSmith promotion (which has since expired). However, several sites on the internet are advertising that the free version is still available. Anyone interested in pursuing this might try: Free Snagit

The latest version of Snag-It is version 9.1.3, available from TechSmith (and from cnet.com) for $50.

All the images that I have posted here on the forum have been captured using Snag-It, then uploaded to Photobucket and downloaded to the forum.

I’ve found Snag-It to be amazingly versatile, compared to the PrintScreen feature built into Windows.

This is well worth reading: Must-know tips for Windows XP Print Screen

Clint

I was wondering how to post large charts.

Thank you to everyone who posted extra information on this thread. :slight_smile:

It is not meant to be a thread - just an information package!! :smiley: :wink:

I ask that you give the hyperlink to this thread to any new trader who wants to know how to post full size charts on this forum.

I would therefore like to close this thread now with one last picture showing how to use Photobucket >>>

END

It could be a sticky on the top or the forum list. Don’t know if it’s possible but I know you´ll figure it out. Great and basic info for us all to learn. :slight_smile:

Good guide but a quick technicality, you’re actually [B][I]up[/I][/B]loading, not [B][I]down[/I][/B]loading the picture :slight_smile: