What do you do when there's a spike?

what do you guys usually do? get out or stay in and see what happens? I got out this morning with over 600 in profit when the spike happened cuz i was scared haha

try using a trailing stop, or manually moving up.

If the spikes in my favor, I take the quick money and get out. Or, Ill put on a postive SL to lock in the quick profit and just hope it keeps going. (which it usually doesn’t during a spike) IME, more often then not, a spike will return very close to the price it started at.

I’ve seen it happen more times than I can count now. A huge spike happens that either makes you very happy or very angry, and then price returns almost to exactly where the spike started, then it resumes it’s normal direction. It’s usually due to news or upcoming news and traders reactions too it, and big money pushing price around.

For the same reason if a spike is against me, and it hasn’t hit my stop (I trade daily candles so my stops are usually quite big), I’ll stay in and wait for price to return. Especially if the spike is contrary to the overall trend.

Keep in mind were talking about a spike here, not an actual move.

The smaller the time frame you trade the more spikes and whipsaws are going to hurt you.

whats a spike ?

Depends on what type of spike it is. If it is just PA then I’ll ride it out in my favor or tighten stops to reduce losses.

If it’s around news, I don’t trade, too volatile for my liking especially when I trade 15M charts on occasion.

oh oh i kind get it :wink: thanks

What do you do when there’s a spike?

I take 5m, different Bollies and play the “Bolli Bounce Game”.

The more spikes the more fun the “Bolli Bounce Game” is. :smiley:

The longer the spikes the more pips find their way into my “pip bucket”. :smiley:

Is that bollinger bounce? Explain the game, sounds interesting.

http://forums.babypips.com/newbie-island/29084-bollinger-band-trading-mas-168.html