Keeping a Journal

Could anyone give me some pointers on keeping a journal of my trades ?

How do you do it ?

What would be really handy, would be software which would replay my trades in real time. Is there such a thing ?

Michael

Your broker will keep a record export it or past it into a spread sheet. you should also keep your own record if you are trading live.

Some trading platforms will show your historical trades you can go back through the charts and look at what you did.

If you like keeping a trade journal, then I hope you are a programmer.
For every entry, do a write file into a database .CSV or .BIN or whatever you like.

And then, make sure you have database management background. You will need critical field values like ENTRY date, ENTRY reasoning, ENTRY triggers, etc…

Having the correct database format and data is essential…

that is what Im looking for

I want to know time length of trade, and all other data

I can do some programming, but it looks like I will have to reinvent the wheel.

I just wondered if there was already software to do this

M

Just search around the Google engine for free scripts out there…

Excel is the easiest way to do this. you don’t need to reinvent any thing, or program anything but a few formulas.

If that’s not the case, then go ahead and do it manually…

What broker are you using? their are some web sites that will do this for you if you set up an account but they only work with some brokers and some are only for live accounts.

In MT4, right mouse click in the account history tab and save as a statement or detailed statement. Then use Excel to open the file and you can sort and do whatever analysis you want on the data.

:slight_smile:

Also, you can drag n drop any trade from the history tab onto the chart and it will put little sideways arrow type characters where the trade began and ended. Not quite replaying it, but at least it’s something visual.

thanks everyone

I already tried Excel, but Im having trouble finding a formula for calculating time on the trade from the MT4 output.

I also found it difficult going through the trade record on MT4 statement, and working out when and why I actually put that trade on and why I (or it) exited.

Im sure with some practice I could do it easier, I just wondered if there was some program already in place to help. Also, the automatic recording and replaying of performance, similar to the strategy tester in MT4 would have been great. Just to see in real time my trades.

I can manage with excel at the moment. That tip on dragging trades to the chart is helpfull. I had noticed a robot leaving those arrow trails on its trades.

thanks again

Mike

We are all here to help…

I don’t really like using excel myself. It is too manual… I try minimize all the work as much as possible. But, hey do whatever works for you…

Best wish and success to you…

how do you do it ?

Well, I don’t like keeping a journal.
I use to keep a journal but not anymore.

The way I used to do it was with my EA.
I had a function routine that does everything automatically for me.
It had a journal function along with a write function and a read function.

However; I am no longer keeping a journal and I done deleted the routine function. I would share this function with you if I did not delete it.

But I do know, there are a lot of free scripts out there. You just got to a little more research.

Get yourself a paper notebook or use a word processor and write down your thoughts about each trade before, during and after. Make a template of the things to keep track of like the pair, the date, the order ticket number, what is the trend on higher timeframes, any chart/candlestick patterns you see, and what your indicators, if any, are doing. What are the highs/lows of the day/week, when is the next news release…kind of things. You could do a screen print/capture of the chart before/during/after, and stick them in the notebook/document too. Update the journal as the trade progresses, and ends.

Each journal is custom to the method you are using, as to what to include in it and won’t be the same as someone else’s. Yes it is a bit of work in the beginning…lol…but it also developes your discipline until one day maybe you won’t need it because hopefully it will all be a habit and 2nd nature to you. :wink:

I’ll see if I can get you a formula for date/time math…excel’s my thang :smiley:

You should check out MeetPips.com! :slight_smile:
A trading journal is an essential tool for any serious trader who wishes to make money. Good luck!

Thank you again, sweetpip, I am constantly indebted to you

I have MS word, a template I will make and use.

thanks again

Michael