Anyone using MT4 to send text/email alerts?

I have been trying to get MetaTrader 4 to send text alerts to my cell for some time now with no success. Documentation is sparse on this feature and I’m bombing out in the trial-and-error department.

Is anyone else using this feature? I’d really like to get alerts set up for indicators, like MA crossovers and such. If anyone is getting this to work, please check my screenshot below for what I might be doing wrong:

I am using the SMTP info for one of my Gmail accounts and have also separately tested the SMS address for my cellphone and it is working.

I use to send emails all the time but could never get gmail to work. I had to switch to use the smtp server at my ISP (COMCAST). I still sent the messages to my gmail account though. I know I researched why it would not work, but quite honestly I forget now. It may be due to the fact even though you are supplying the port, they require ssl encryption.

After rereading your post more closely, it appears what follows is irrelevant. My experience was getting alerts to my cell phone. It appears you already have that done successfully. I’m leaving this post for posterity.

Gmail wont work with MT4 because MT4 requires that you have access to an email server that allows relay requests. I had this same problem, and you can search all over the net trying to find a email service that will allow this functionality, probably to no avail. I don’t want to go into too much detail, but this service could be and regularly was abused by spammers in years past, so that is why it is much rarer these days.

Some ISPs have this functionality, so you should research your ISP service availability, but I didn’t find any webmail services that allowed it. Many ISPs have outsourced their email services because of the popularity of webmail. If that is the case with your ISP, then you won’t have any luck there.

So, is there no solution? Of course there is, but I could not find one that was free. One free solution is to run your own email server. However, chances are, if you are asking this question here, its unlikely you would want to do that (if you’re a Linux buff, it might actually be fun). So you will probably need to pay. Its not expensive. I paid about 10 dollars a year for the service.

I used dnsEXIT.com. I didn’t have any billing problems, so its not like they are a fishy operation. Once set up, everything worked in MT4 as expected.

If you do find a free mail relay service, please post it here so others can use it in the future.

Try changing the provider, use Gawab.com Web-based Email email POP3 SMTP IMAP SMS they are free last time I used them.

GMX is a free email provider like gmail, but they don’t have encryption required. Also a lot of ISPs work and this should be part of the monthly charge.

Yes! After countless tries, I did get it to work. GMX seemed to do it, after I changed the outgoing port. Now that I have the test messages working fine, it’s time to see if I get my first alert for my TalonD LWMA 1H crossovers this coming week. Then I can start adding other indicator EAs, hopefully.

Thanks, guys, for all the replies. This will make my trading life much easier.

Thought it only right to share a screenshot of how I got this to work for anyone else who might be having trouble.

You’ll need to sign up for a GMX account then input your email account information into MetaTrader 4. Go to Tools -> Options -> Email and follow this layout:

Click the ‘Test’ button to send a message to your phone. Your Journal in MT4 will also document your success (or failure) sending any test messages.

If anyone is curious and asks, I’ll post again when I (hopefully) get my first successful EA alert next week.

This is a little off topic but can an audible alert within the MT4 platform be sent to my computer without using an outside service? I use FXDD and would like an audible alert when a pair hits a certain price. I don’t want an email or cell phone alert.

Anybody know? thanks, D.

Yes it’s possible. It requires either a script or EA however.

If you are willing to set alerts manually, click the alerts tab then right click and add the alerts yo want.

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you jado. D.

Welcome, Happy new year to all :slight_smile:

I know this thread is probably long dead but if anyone is reading this can you please tell me how to set up alerts in the first place on MT4?

I just want to get an alert when the ATR hits a certain level. I have figured out how to send a text message to myself but I don’t know how to set the alert in the first place. Thanks in advance

SendMail is the function to use when sending alerts to your email/phone. I think the arguments are something like sendmail(strSubject, strMessage). Its been a couple of years since I’ve used MT so this might not be current anymore.

GMX works the best. Something to do with the SSL but nevertheless, it works.

Thanks dear,

I’ll try check the gmail setting out that have been mentoined in this thread, but it looks as if I have to wait till Monday until my broker’s servers are up again because right now it doesnt work.

Thanks

GMX does not work anymore as an smtp server with mt4 to get text alerts. What does everyone else use to get text alerts? This would be very useful for me, but I can’t seem to get it to work. Any ideas?

Hi guys

I have tried Jangosmtp.com for smtp emails through MT4 and it works!

As for forwarding of emails to sms, it depends on each individual cellular provider’s requirement but I have manage to find a list (non-exhaustive though) of some of these requirement of the cellular providers.
Go to the following site:

mydigitallife.info/send-free-text-message-with-hundreds-of-email-to-sms-gateway-or-internet-web-sms-from-operator/

Hope this helps!

If you are trading live, you don’t want to depend on free services to do your message routing. As we saw with GMX, they can revoke access at any moment. I would recommend using a host like HostGator for SMTP services. It will cost a few bucks a month, but it worth it. Search for videos on how to setup mt4 text message alerts and there should be some videos/tutorials.

Hey everyone,

MT4 email alerts do not work with any smtp that requires ssl connection (which is just about all them.) One solution is purchasing your own email client, but that will cost a monthly fee. I’ve recently started using a program from mt4emailalert.com and it’s worked very well so far. It’s only a one time flat fee to setup. It might be worth looking into if you want a fast solution.

I don’t think they have alerts for indicators though. It will only alert you for trades made on the account.