During what session do you trade and why?

Currently, I’m trading during the EU/AM session, but I’m wondering if there are others who trade during the other sessions and what their reasons are for doing so. BabyPips said trading at those times = losing money, which I refuse to believe.

I generally enter my trades towards the end of the NY session. I trade on a daily chart and at 4pm CST is when a new candle appears.

During the EUR AM/PM session. Good liquidity plus (perhaps more importantly) I want to wake up at a normal time and want to have a social life in the evening! :slight_smile:

I trade XXXJPY. So generally I trade at the end of the TOPIX session

From experience I’d say that you really need to test your strategy across all sessions and to determine this for yourself. People make the most ridiculous unsubstantiated claims without backing them up with evidence.

My main automated system works between the hours of 06:00-10:00 GMT and 14:00-18:00 GMT. Trading outside of those hours just bleeds money. I have other systems that are the complete inverese. I find that there’s usually a reasonably strong correlation between perfomance and volatility

Its generally worth breaking down trading results by hour, or session when analysing trading results

That is true but it was stated in the Babypips school.

You can see that during the middle of the week is where the most movement is seen on all 4 major pairs. Fridays are usually busy until 12pm EST and then the market pretty much drops dead until it closes at 5pm EST. This means we only work half-days on Fridays. The weekend always starts early! Yippee!

So based on these three simple pieces, we’ve learned when the busiest times of the market are. These are the best times to trade because they give us a higher chance of success.
Advertisement

If you’re feeling down in the dumps and wish to lose money, these are the times to trade…

This does not necessarily make it true, in fact its far more likely to be completely incorrect. Do not believe a single word that anyone tells you, unless you’ve verified it for yourself.

Well, this is what I stated initially:

BabyPips said trading at those times = losing money, which I refuse to believe.

The main reason is that if the other sessions were unprofitable, there would be no (or very minimal) price action during those times.

Alternatively, have you tried a filter based on volatility rather than time?

Each session has its own way of behaiving, and you have to learn the difference.

For the beginner it might be difficult to see the difference, therefore it is best to stick to one session for a start. Until you understand the nature and the difference between those sessions.