Question from a Newbie forex trader

bwent thru pipsology - traded a demo account for a couple of months - chart/technical trading - almost ignore the fundamentals unless fundmantals warrant another look. have an account with mfglobal who have a 30:1 leverage - not bad imho - i know there are brokers offering 100:1 and even 400:1, but I’m not looking to retire on forex trading, just something to keep the mind active. so, here’s my question…

please critique all you want - that’s why I posted…

I have $15,000 to invest

I’m willing to risk a total of 25% of the total $15,000 = $3,750

leveraged at 30:1, I would be able to trade approx. 11 mini lots ($10,000ea)

what sort of margin call would I be able to withstand given I have $11,250 left in the account as margin?

is this a good way to trade?

is this not good practice?

If you have read then you know that 2% is the maximum risk that most advise. Are you asking how much draw down will trigger a margin call?

1. Depending on currency pair traded you could withstand aproximatley a 1022.72 ppoint draw down.
  2. Have you tested the strategy for how many times you will get an 1022 point drawdown
  3. Have you tested the strategy for how many times you will get an 1022 point drwadown
    It all come down to your system and how often it is accurate and if you can stick to your trading rules.

that’s just it - you should never experience a 1022 pip move - that’s insane!

even if you trade using MACD and short at the right time/go long at the right time and pick up 10 pips, the chances of the pair moving 1000 pips is near impossible is it not?

i’m only asking the questions because I don’t know - trying to wrap my head around things.

Yes, statistically speaking, that is highly unlikely… but people have been struck by lightning before.