Multi-Time Frame Trend Trading

Sure will do! Not at home at the mo but as soon as I get back will upload it. I can’t get it to work, but I think I know why. :slight_smile:

First I wanted to say thanks to Graviton and all contributors… great to find such a good post, with so much good info in a positive presentation. :slight_smile:

Second, I have been following off and on the trend post by Tymen and I am extremely pleased that this has branched into a multi-time frame system. This is where my interest lies. I am addicted to the additional information presented in “multi-time vision”.

Keep up the great work! I have already learned alot and I am eager to see how this develops from here.

Cheers!

I’m glad to hear they are working on somthing. I too like the GFT platform.
I am not a programmer at all and I do not think I would do well on MT4 so switching and learning all that is not something I look forward to either.

Thanks
Jack

Thanks RenaLa, I looked for this in GFT Dealbook but it does not appear to have the same options your platform have - I assume you are using MT4 and that this option is available to you.

Thanks
Jack

I’ve enhanced the indicator. Enhancements include;

[ul]
[li]detects and displays errors if you select a pair you broker doesn’t support.
[/li][li]shows the spread in pips for each pair.
[/li][li]sorts the pairs alphabetically.
[/li][li]detects stale data (shown with an “*”)
[/li][li]works with 4 or 5 digit brokers.
[/li][li]added space for up to 22 pairs.
[/li][li]you can now adjust font size and spacing.
[/li][/ul]

Other things to consider;

If you haven’t had a pair open in a chart before, you will get a reading of 0 or *0 (stale). To force collection of data, you should have a chart open for each of the pairs you’re watching with this indicator - at least initially. It seems to help if you’ve flicked through each time frame as well, as you need 20 bars to get the moving average.

Graviton’s Trend Strength.zip (2.25 KB)

For the trend counter ranking. I was wondering why we also need to count the lower time frames below 30mins as if our home TF is 30 mins. For example if we identify up trends in the 1hr, 4hr, daily, weekly and monthly charts, this is obviously a good long on retracements on the 30min and lower TFs right? If we counted the rankings for the 30min and lower TFs, surely this would dilute the score given that shows a strong upward trending pair thus maybe hiding the fact that this is an excellent pair to look for entires off the lower BB?

Therefore I am wondering depending on the home timeframe that we trade off, should we also include the lower ranking TFs in our scoring system and doing so seems to hide strong trends on the higher TFs that we should trade with?

Also a thought about combining Grav’s excellent trend identification with Tymen’s ingenious countertrend methods. Maybe we could get more trades if we trade a larger percentage of our capital using Grav’s with trend method and use a smaller percentage for Tymen’s countertrend trades?

I noticed with hindsight looking at the 30mins TF EURUSD yesterday that Tymen’s counter longerterm trend entries off the extreme BBs when flat, no matter long or short still are profitable trades even those against the longer term TF trends.

That’s basically what I was thinking earlier today while putting together a chart for myself which I thought I’d laminate and keep handy, using a dry-erase marker to update values.

What [I]would[/I] the value be of recording the values of the 15m and 5m charts if we see a good strong trend value for the higher TFs? Wouldn’t we normally then go down into the smaller charts anyway, just to see where they’re at before entry?

JackBPIP,
yes, I do use MT4 as well as DealBook. You trade on forex market.
I trade both forex and cfd market.
You can ask you customer support about it they definitely will help you
I DO able use Graviton’s method on GFT platform
I dont know how better to explain. Here is the image of the folder I’ve mentioned.

Merchantprince, I’ll leave for a few days later today. You can take my analyzing place if you like as you’ve requested :slight_smile:

hi NorwegianBlue, thank you for updating indicator.
I have deleted all previous files from my “indicators” folder then I pasted the new one and I did compile the file. there is slash appeared on my chart.
please, take a look what I got now, I think old compiled version interfered with the new one. :confused:

i have the same picture as Renala in my chart

RenaLa, your screenshot provides a clue. All your pairs have a “b” after them.

GBPJPYb for example. Go in and add that “b” to a pair in the indicator settings, and see if it starts working.

Excellent!!! Such Great Indicator! Thank you, it works! :slight_smile:

I have two numbers by each pair. One is integer, other one is decimal which is changing all the time
The first number is for strength,

what Decimal number by each pair for?

Spread in pips.

Great minds think alike my friend. That is what I was saying last night on the chat. Two approaches, one for longer Trend following, one for quick, high lot, small pip Couner Trend moves

It’s always good to diversify your trading account :wink:

To NorwegianBlue & TraderAlan

What if we could work together to develop an indicator for Counter Trend vs Trend moves? Instead of having spread as part of the indicator we make one number for Counter Trend strength on the lower TF’s (say M1 through M15 or M30) and the other number for main trend strength on TF of M30( or H1) through Monthly (or leave this one as is and use all TF’s)

Now we all realise this is not a trading signal and will not replace our analysis but is merely to assist us in targeting the pairs most likely to give us our pips.

What do you think?

Hey Hachiko, having a high reading like ±9 on the indicator would already mean that PA is ripe for a counter-trend move.

Whenever I see ±9, I begin drawing CBLs in anticipation of a counter trend move.

Wow. So funny. I found that to be the case but thought I was making a mistake and it was just my lousy trading.

You see, I recalled Graviton saying in a chat, that if it was +9, then all the ducks are in a row and you should check your TF’s one by one and then enter on a good move without waiting for a confirmation by BB DNA. I probably misunderstood what he meant. :o

Is this all the more reason for us to have a low level CT move indicator?

Could someone tell me how to get these great indicators that are being offered into the MT4 platform. I am biting the bullet and may drop GFT because of the averaging thing and opened up an MT4 demo account. BTW I’ll take [B]NZD/USD [/B]for the analysis exercise today. Won’t be in until about 4:30 EST though.

It’s true that at the very moment the indicator becomes ±9 that all ducks are lined up - BUT - if it has been 9 for a while, that means you are walking the BB in some timeframe.

If you notice that PA is walking the 30M timeframe (at least), then wouldn’t you begin drawing CBLs and checking the BB contraction for a counter-trend move?

I know I would.

We have to bear in mind that the indicator includes the 1M/5M charts, which means a BB walk in a higher time frame may not necessarily stay at -+9, it will probably oscillate between 7 and 9.