Why am I making a loss here?

Anyone know why I’m -£5 here? :confused:

Ussualy you start with a loss because you pay the spread?

Yeah, I was thinking that at first, but that seems pretty high does it not?
Even were the price peaked in that picture, I was still making a loss…

What are you trading?

GBP/JPY, 10,000 units

Went long on that trade.

It was pretty strange, the trading platform was quoting two different prices. On the graph it was showing the price you can see on the graph. However, on the trade overview, it was quoting a price lower than what I went in on… Very confused lol.

Who is the broker and did you enter limit order or market order. Market orders can be filled at prices different from the listed price because the market moves faster than it can be updated.

That’s OANDA’s platform I presume.

Did you check the spread whether it widened for a short moment?

When did you take the trade? It was due to spread.

The post is after 5pm New York time Oanda will let you open or close a trade 7 days a week with big spreads on the weekend. My guess is he opened a trade after the spreads went up. The market moves a few hours before and after “market hours”.

Definitely spread. The spread for GBPJPY right now is 20 pips since the market is closed. End of friday it is 10 pips easy.

Rubbered: You can turn on lines for bid and ask on Oanda charts by clicking the button next to “Sell” in the upper right corner of the chart. There are checkboxes there. That way you can visually see the spread before you trade.

Might it have been a Sunday? Signal feed seems pretty bad across all platforms until things get warmed up and spreads have returned to normal. :mad:

Abviously not the platform providers covering bases of course! Perish the thought. :smiley:

Those two prices are the bid and the ask. Generally, on a chart you havn’t adjusted only one will show up.

You always enter a trade negative the spead, which is the number of pips between the bid and the ask.

Before a trade goes into profit you always have to beat the spread. So, if you have a 10 pip spread and a 30 pip TP, price has to move 40 pips from your entry for you to hit your TP.

If you are new dont trade on friday, too volatile. Dont trade on the weekends, no volume and you’ll get odd spikes and any indicators you are watching won’t mean anything. And dont trade GJ. If you are new trade EU.
And trade the U.S. London overlap from 7-10 if you can. Also, learn long term trend trading first. Scalping for 2-50 pips isn’t for beginners.