Telephone call from broker... normal?

A while back, while trying to choose a broker, I opened an account with one, but never funded it. So this afternoon, I get a call from them telling me what good news we have that the European banks have passed their stress tests, so now it’s a good time to invest.

I"m wondering about how much it sounded like a sales gimmick… or is this normal? Why would a broker call you to fund your account? I told the broker that I’m trying to save to open the account with more than just the bare minimum that is required for a micro account because I don’t want to blow it considering the site only lets you trade with a 100:1 leverage. But he was just like, “Oh you can still open the account and your money will still receive interest even if you don’t trade, plus we will give you x, y, z access, blah blah”

What do you think? By the way, the broker is based in NYC, where I live, but I just thought it was a little too sales-like.

Totally normal, and to be expected from almost every broker you sign up with.

They don’t make money until you are paying spread rates.

And they wanna make money;)

Ah gotcha : )

The call is normal from many brokers;) If you dont want calls don’t use a real phone number when you set up demos.

I don’t want to blow it considering the site only lets you trade with a 100:1 leverage

You are not understanding how leverage works and how it affects you trades. You need to think in terms of used leverage, not available leverage. How much of your total account balance is being used for leverage at any one time. That is what you need to watch and keep low. If the broker only allows micro lots as a minimum trade size then you will need sufficient cash in the account to keep the used leverage low. If the broker allows nano or cent lots then you can manage your used leverage with a very small account. Keeping the used leverage low with a small account depends on lot or trade size not the available leverage.

[QUOTE=Shr1k;208507]The call is normal from many brokers;) If you dont want calls don’t use a real phone number when you set up demos.

So true! I always change the last digit of my phone number, also the first thing you want to do when you start trading, is set up a special email address, just for forex, the amount of spam and junk emails i get is unreal!
like-

“make 11000% with our special system”
“why the dow will be under 5000 by august”

haha, who writes this stuff!