What kind of pc would i need to trade?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What kind of pc would i need to trade?

I'm completely new to trading and I was wondering what kind of system setup would i need? I'm looking at a high end dell, but do i really need all that power? any suggestions?

These aren't the latest and greatest specs out there, but I know this will run any trade station out there and will have sufficient power to efficiently run your trading.

1 GHZ processor
    512 MB of ram
    AGP or PCI or PCI Express mulit moniter video card
    Windows XP or higher.

What you really need for a mulit moniter set-up is a video card that supports it.

They are easy to find. Just search for Multi-Moniter Video Cards on
    google.

Just make sure the Video card will work with your mother board. i.e.
    If you have a AGP slot then get a AGP video card if PCI slot then PCI card and so on. It should say right on the computer specs when you shop for a computer.

I found this link on building a trading station at ET, you should check it out. It is almost like a lesson plan, not just an article. Best of all, it is easy to understand! http://www.elitetrader.com/tr/index.cfm?s=12

Nice link shiny, it really gives you all the info you need to build a trader friendly system. Take some time though, there is a lot to read here. I made it through the first 20 pages, then I had some serious eye strain.

I know, I started reading through it and halfway through I about fell asleep. I have a new pc though, and most of mine fits the specs, I just need to invest in a second monitor, and probably something for back up.

It's handy, but a bit wordy. I think they could have condensed it to a manageable size. To be honest, I turned off after the first 5 pages. Next time I will just search the page for exactly what I am after.

Here is a place that sell multi screen set ups, it is 2-7 monitors set up in one unit. I am sure they are pretty pricey, but if you consider the cost of buying each separately I think it evens out.

I think more attention should be put on the speed of your connection, rather than your PC.

Well speed is def an issue, but there is way more to it than that. Most people do prefer a multi monitor set up so you don't have to keep switching back and forth.

More than one monitor is nice, but if your connection is too slow and your PC outdated; you could miss out on a lot of info!

Forum Sponsors