How to reduce risk

reduce your position size using maximum 4:1 leverage of your account. try just using 2:1 and always have a stop loss, atleast then it is going to take you longer to loose your money:)

One really good idea is to have a plan before you get in a trade. I found registering at meetpips and answering all of their (probing!) questions helped straighten out my plan!

Simple.

Buy a smaller position when you enter a trade.

Yea, I know. I’m a rocket scientist.

When you enter the market, you should
Know what the risks are. That will reduce
the risks somewhat. If the risks are too
great do not enter the market with that
system.

Backtesting is very important.

Forex trading is much much more than buying low and selling high.

Hello, pyramiding is one of the possible ways to reduce risk. It is discussed in great free pdf Phantom of the pits and Gravitons multi time frame trading thread.

Can you please give a sample what do you mean by Forex is much more than buying and selling high?

trav72 as you said

reduce your position size using maximum 4:1 leverage of your account. try just using 2:1 and always have a stop loss, atleast then it is going to take you longer to loose your money

how can i do manage my leverage my self some has fix leverage .

tell me then how could i reduce risk if the broker have fixed leverage?

Interesting question. Most retail brokers default is 100:1. So standard account = $1 a pip at $10. So scale back… Micro = 10c a pip.

the brokers confuse new traders with there stated leverage…there is 2 types of leverage to understand…the broker leverage is just a way of saying how much deposit you will need to leave with the broker to open that position.
ie. a $1000 contract with 100:1 leverage you wll need to deposit $10 with the broker to open that contract and the pips will be 10cents.
or $10000 contract 100:1 leverage your deposit will be $100
now this has nothing to do with your risk
you need to calculate for yourself depending on your account size your true leverage, for instance if your account is $500 then using 2:1 leverage you would only want to open a position/contract of $1000 (10cent pips)…it really doesnt matter what the broker offers you (100:1etc)cause thats just the deposit. Or you may want to use 4:1 then you would open a $2000, ie 4*500=$2000 (20cent pips)
So learn the difference between your true account leverage (which is important cause that will determine your position size and it will be your choice based on your calculation), and the broker leverage which is kind of irrelevant but gives you the power to open the position in way of a deposit with the broker

take your account size and take 1% of that and make that $-value the most you can lose on your trade idea.

for maximum risk control, focus on taking 1 trade at a time on 1 currency pair.

notice a theme? 1 1 1
it’s so easy to remember :slight_smile:

I hope this tips help…

Trade with the trend
Wait for pullbacks
Use longer time frames
Use Stop Loss
Place Stop Loss properly (where is protected and the noise can’t reach)
Use little leverage or none
Cut your losses let your profits run

Some personal of mine

Don’t look at charts like it was a TV
Do not use market orders

Can you explain this in more detail?

I think it was a bad comparison, my point is at some time, mostly with short term traders get addicted to looking at the price going up and down for minutes or even hours, I think that makes people anxious so they trade or close trades based on false assumptions.

I fell into this sometimes and the solution was trading more at long term and looking less at the charts once I make my analysis and place a trade.

Forgive my English :smiley:

well i want to know this how important is to watch news

for forex? its essential or not ?

what did you peoples recommend for newbies

to get them self update from market up and down

and which site is preferable and trusty to show

proper news about the up and down of the economy ?:cool:

i here about dailyforex new is that a good site to

get update myself or what you peoples recommend for

newbies

I think it’s important to watch the news AND the market’s reaction, but is your decision to trade it or not.

FF calendar is essential for most TF and many people think that is enough, if you want more info try ft.com; forex live was recommended by Graviton in his thread. I really like Bloomberg mobile phone app I think its better then opera + other site :slight_smile: I am pretty sure you wanted an answer from a person with experience in trading, but better then nothing. :smiley:

I concur. For the most part its enough to keep an eye on news particularly pertaining to the cross/crosses you are trading. Most platforms will offer an economic calendar of low,medium and high impact news for the up coming week, BP and FF too (often colour coded). If you are not in the habit of trading the news then one eye on this and fundamentals and the other on the charts will suffice. A caveat to this is make sure your not in a trade during high impact (red) news events.

If you trade high impact news as your main strat… err… rather you than me… good luck with that! :smiley:

If you really mean how do you reduce risk, all you need to do is learn to control your risk by sizing your positions (there are various position size calculators on the internet you can use to do this).

I personally fix my position size so that the risk is 1% in every trade.

If you want to reduce risk, just reduce the percentage risked per trade.

If you position size correctly, it doesn’t matter what leverage you’re using.