I have a question about lots, and interest rates

I understand that a standard lot is 100,000 units. But I get confused when I log into my demo forex account and I go long with 100,000 units of gbp/jpy and it says the value of my trade is 158,111.25 with the rate at 128.565. I dont understand the math? wouldnt 100,000 units of 128 be alot larger? Please someone help

My second question…about carry trades…I see countries have a lot of different interest rates…which one counts towards carry trades? I was reading bloomberg.com and say Brazil had a 10 year interest rate at 10%, while japan’s is at .10(estimating)…If their interest rates are so far apart, why dont I hear about people doing a lot of carry trades with brazil and japan?

Thank you.

You went LONG 100,000 GBP and SHORT 12,856,500 JPY (that’s the 128.565 exchange rate: one GBP = 128.565 yen).

The 100,000 GBP that you are now LONG are valued at $158,111.25 because GBP/USD = 1.58111 at the time of your entry, and your account is obviously denominated in USD.

…I see countries have a lot of different interest rates…which one counts towards carry trades?..

This depends on your broker. Don’t expect to get the difference between countries’ central bank rates. Your broker will offer you MUCH less than that. Check your trading platform for the actual rates available to you.

thanks clint…I knew it came out to the 12 million yen but I forgot to convert it back to USD.

So the interest rates depend on the broker? I’ve also been following the thread about off-shore brokers…Are there a couple brokers you would recommend?

Yes. Everything you do in your forex trading account is a transaction between you and your broker. That’s why the CFTC insists on calling them “counter-parties” and “dealers”, but not “brokers”.

When you “buy”, your broker is “selling” to you. And when you collect (or pay) an overnight interest charge on an open position, you collect (or pay) the interest rate your broker chooses to set.

When the “carry” is positive, you can be sure that your broker is offering you a lot less than he is collecting on your overnight position; and when the “carry” is negative, you can be sure that your broker is charging you a lot more than he is paying on your overnight position.

…I’ve also been following the thread about off-shore brokers…Are there a couple brokers you would recommend?

No can do. You have to do the tough work we call [I]due diligence[/I]. And nobody, but you, can do it. What’s right for you depends on your personal situation. And it depends on emotional and subliminal factors which you probably won’t even know about until you start the [I]due diligence[/I] process.

You may find that you’re just not comfortable with the idea of trading with a broker in some location that you can’t even find on a map.

You may decide that you really want a broker staffed by English-speaking people in an English-speaking country.

Or, maybe the most important thing to you is not location, or language, or the regulatory authority involved, but low minimum initial deposit; or the lowest pip-spreads you can find anywhere; or the highest leverage you can find.

Maybe you insist on the MT4 platform. Or maybe you hate it. You get the idea.

That’s why broker websites are listed on that thread. And it’s why we are starting to add some basic metrics for each broker, like leverage and spreads.

Believe me, you’ll be much, much better off doing your own research, and making your own decision, than you would be if you took my recommendation, or anyone else’s.

1 Like