Managing open orders

I have had some success in placing profitable orders and a lot of success in placing loss orders. In both cases I cannot seem to manage setting stop losses and t/p prices. The only thing that works is to place an order, modify it by clicking the copy for sl and tp. Every time I set a value the response is "invalid s/l or t/p."
So, is there a tutorial someplace that will walk me through orders execution.
I have been using RSI(8) and exponential moving average and at first got some very large gainers, 200-300 pips by letting the order run, but that no longer works as well.
Also note that every order starts with a significant loss even when it eventually turns a nice profit.
I went through the baby pips school and learned a lot but must have missed something.
I have about 4+ brokers with paper accounts that behave pretty consistently.

Thanks for pointers.

Bill Barnes

Part of the issue is the spread. You have to account for it, which is why trades start in the negative as you catch up. Another issue is the room a broker gives you for a trade. For example Alpari US insists a SL or TP be at least 10 pips away from the current price. Then also there is price movement while you input your order.

I’m learning about these factors too, it’s one of the reasons I avoid EURNZD, the spread is often 16-20pips that I have to make up.