The Silly (trading) Season

The forex market has the potential to be quite squirrel-y in the week between Christmas and New Years. One of the reasons for this is all the bank holidays occurring during the week.

The calendar below shows bank holidays in just the next 5 days. (I have filtered everything else out of this weekly calendar.) Note that entries shown on Sunday 12/26 (New York time) refer to bank holidays in New Zealand and Australia on Monday 12/27 (local time).

Below the calendar is a price chart showing the volatility in the GBP/USD just before New Years Day 2010, and on the first Friday in January 2010 when the monthly Non-Farm Payroll report was issued.

Here are the bank holidays occurring this coming week, beginning on Monday morning in New Zealand:

Here’s a 30 minute chart of the GBP/USD between December 24, 2009, and January 8, 2010:

If you like chasing high volatility in thinly-traded markets, this week might be your week — but, not mine.

High volatility sounds good to me. A bunch of pairs just completed a ABCD pattern and ready to reverse it’s course. I will be in those trades :slight_smile:

Wow, lots of bank holidays.

How come forexfactory forgot the US holidays?? I couldn’t figure that one out

Hello,

Thanks Clint. As always: interesting thread!!!

You want VOLATILITY in a thin market??? I’ll show you VOLATILITY in a thin market??? LOL!!!

This is a portion of the daily chart of the Paris CAC40. Take a look at yesterday’s movement (indicated on the chart)!!! It just so happened that I was short and I thought I was ‘seeing things’ (although I didn’t ‘cash in’ on the ‘windfall’ i.e. just trying to follow my systems YOU KNOW)!!! LOL!!! And trust me: it was not a ‘bad tick’ either i.e. the same happened with the Frankfurt DAX (and the only reason the FTSE 100 was not affected is because they’re ‘taking the p*ss’ in the UK i.e. yesterday AND today are holidays and the Dow, S&P, and NASDAQ were affected to a lesser degree because America was still asleep)!!! LOL!!!

Of course: it could also be one of those ‘flash crashes’ (some algorithm got ‘spooked’) but I’m hoping it’s a valid low i.e. the futures appear to be having a real hard time pushing past their previous highs and if we get to same low on the CAC well there’s MY ‘Christmas present to self’!!! LOL!!!

And forex traders: don’t think this does not affect you i.e. if these indices come ‘crashing down’ just you watch EUR/JPY!!! LOL!!!

Regards,

Dale.

Edit:

Oops!!! It turns out to be China’s rate hike that caused this!!! My mistake!!! LOL!!!

My mistake, still hard to believe US banks wouldn’t even take a day off around the christmas holidays. Especially since they print “in god we trust” on their notes :smiley:

This week was not thin enough for me to grab 100 + pips :smiley:

Really how come that

I think this guy has set a Babypips record.

His first post was at 9:43pm (EST) yesterday, and he was banned 34 minutes later.

Babypips is like a large tree — it inevitably attracts a few squirrels.