Where to watch live news?

Hello,

Im trying to trade live news , but sadly im late for every new news or result they publish by 2-5 mins …

Is there any good resource to watch live news ? like TV channel or something ?

Im checking everyday calendar at forexfactory and dailyFX …

like GBP Purchasing Manager Index Services today …

It went down, but the website update was late …

Could some one give me any resource to watch USD , EUR , GBP live news ?
what you guys watch ? Web news ? or TV , and do they show this reports on CNN CNBC Bloomberg ?

Thanks

Im sorry to thump again , but i need a question please :X
i cant find any result at google or somewhere else but FX spam and commircals …

Does any one know a good resource ?

Thanks again

I like Forex Factory - best news.

I heard also about currency plug-in that show news on the chart. Sorry, can’t provide a link.

FF calendar is pretty decent for updating quick enough - usually on the minute of the news release in my experience. Probably CNBC / Bloomberg TV would have some live updates but maybe not everything you’re looking for. To be honest I’d be careful about trying to trade the news and looking to get in instantly based off a news result you see flash up on the screen. Big traders usually digest the full report before committing to a trade as the headline number can sometimes be misleading. In my opinion trying to trade off the news instantly without waiting to see how things are developing is a pretty dangerous strategy as retail traders aren’t the best at understanding the implication of a particular report often and the market can move in unexpected ways.

I like that way you posted ,
Im with " work harder to success "
i will look for that plug in my self …

But could u confirm if its a MT4 addon ? because im using OandA

Thanks again for your reply :smiley:

PipBandit , im trading for 1 year till now
i wasnt so serious about trading until last 2 weeks …

Im studying more at the moment ,

SO , about what you have saied , i agree , but as a new trader here , i can asure you , trading without news = 90% gambling .

I did never success before without the news ,
Here im winning 90% of my trades each day using the news reports …
im trading about 20-30 deals a day , as i saied 90% success …
100 usd each day with 0.3 LOT size …

Your point could be true than instant news trade could be dangerous , but as long as i trade with low LOT size that wont hurt too much , because this will happen once very 10 reports , so , as i see the news reports work 90%

Thanks again

Bloomberg TV or CNBC (either via Internet or Satellite TV). That’s as close to ‘realtime’ as you’re going to get.

A word of warning though (I don’t know how long you’ve been doing this so forgive me if I’m telling you something that you already know):

Most times price will have moved LONG (and by ‘LONG’ even milliseconds are ‘LONG’ when ‘trading the news’) before you’re able to ‘jump in’ on the trade so ‘beware’. If you’re placing market orders: you may get re-quoted and if you’re placing stop orders there is a good chance that your stop order is going to be slipped. In both cases you will probably end up getting ‘in’ right at the end of the move and you will in all probability then have a difficult time to getting ‘out’ for the same reasons if price reverses direction with the same ‘vigour’ (volatility) as the original move. I could give you a few more reasons to ‘beware’ but suffice to say that if you’re new to trading then this is not (I don’t believe) the way to start.

Regards,

Dale.

Edit:

Sorry: the other replies to you (above) were posted while I was posting my reply to you so I never say them but they’re similar in nature I guess (mine may just be more detailed is all)!!! LOL!!!

As a matter of interest though: are you trading live or on a demo account???

Yeah if you decide to instant trade the news you’re entering a game where algorithims rule. These algos’ servers are co-located to the news and exchange servers so they get the results ahead of everybody else and have their orders placed before you’ve blinked. But if you can make it work for you then have it I suppose. It’s not for me though.

Dpaterso,

Thanks for your information about the re-quoted thing ,

I heared about it , but never got it while trading , could be because im using Demo account ?(OandA)
But is it bad ? and how to avoid getiing requoted ?

Best way is to try to find the news reports as fast as posible and trade asap before it goes that high or low , and i mean by 1 sec , am i right ?

what would be the best way to deal with the requot thing and avoid it ?

Thanks

LOL!!!

ONCE AGAIN: everybody ‘got in’ replying to you while I was busy typing me ‘edit’ above!!!

Well you’ve answered my question already then i.e. demo vs live!!!

There may very well be a difference between demo trading and live trading and it depends entirely on your broker. I know of brokers where demo orders will be executed INSTANTANEOUSLY i.e. you will never be re-quoted and will always be able to get in and out of the trades ‘in the twinkling of an eye’ but the moment you switch to a live account things could change DRASTICALLY. This is unfortunately one of many reasons why traders sometimes make fortunes demo trading and lose their live accounts within the first few minutes of trading using the exact same trading system or methodology. I’m not saying that this is the case with Oanda i.e. I’ve never used them. All I’m saying is to be careful and unfortunately this is something that you’re only going to find out once you’re trading live.

In addition and assuming your broker is ‘on the level’: you’re not going to trade those small lot sizes forever (hopefully for you). What I’m saying is that (assuming your account grows substantially) the bigger the lot sizes become the more difficult it is probably going to be get your orders filled (but right now I don’t think that this is something you have to worry too much about)!!! LOL!!!

There is no way to avoid being re-quoted i.e. if the broker cannot execute your order at the price at which you placed it (it doesn’t matter whether it’s a market order or a stop order in this case) because price has moved too quickly then you will be re-quoted (either that or your order will simply be rejected if using an ECN/STP broker). What a lot of people don’t know (here I go again with this but it’s important): a stop order is executed as a market order i.e. a stop order ‘becomes’ a market order at the time of execution. In a fast moving or volatile market price may have moved too quickly and your stop order, which has ‘become’ a market order, is executed at the first AVAILABLE price and if the first AVAILABLE price is different from your order price then your order will be executed at a different (worse) price (and because it is / was a stop order you will NOT get re-quoted i.e. it will simply be executed at a worse price). This is known as ‘slippage’ and is quite normal. Unfortuanately: not a lot of people are aware of this and think that ‘slippage’ is ‘just another way’ for your broker to ‘get you’!!! I’m not saying that this is NOT a ‘tool’ used by ‘bucket shop’ brokers to ‘fleece’ you but, for the most part even with reliable and honest brokers, ‘slippage’ is just ‘part of the game’ in a fast moving or volatile market.

And as PipBandit has already noted: trying to do what you’re doing the way you’re trying to do it: you’re going up against some REAL ‘fancy’, very expensive, and very fast computer hardware and software (some of the big firms pay MAJOR money to have their servers located in the same ROOM as the exchange’s servers) so I’m afraid you’re at quite a disadvantage before even starting.

Sorry: I know it’s probably not something you wanted to hear but ‘it is what it is’.

Regards,

Dale.

I know you can get Bloomberg TV or Radio for free on their website. I’m pretty sure CNBC is by subscription-only (if someone knows a way to get CNBC audio or TV free, please share!)

‘dusktrader’:

As a matter of interest: where are you (‘in the world’ I mean)???

The reason I ask:

I’ve compared the Bloomberg TV live video streaming via the Internet with satellite and the live video streaming is delayed by quite a fair ‘margin’ (no pun intended) i.e. I’m talking a few seconds at least. It’s not ‘by design’ (it’s not Bloomberg) i.e. I guess it just depends where you are and on your Internet connection speed and on the amount of buffering necessary to display the video without ‘stuttering’. I would imagine within the USA you would not have this problem??? Just curious. Although (and this is just an observation): I would imagine that a certain amonut of buffering is inevitable no matter where you are as it’s simply a function of most players so I cannot see that live video streaming could be used for news trading (at least not the way that ‘Leopardos’ wants to use it)???

Put another way: here where I am the S&P has already closed its opening gap by the time the opening bell sounds on live video streaming!!! LOL!!!

Regards,

Dale.

dpaterso , yet again , Thanks alot … i realy appreciate your help …

I got your point of the difference between demo and live …

I funded my account with 3000$ and i made 85US today trading news only …

Did 10 trades today , 8Profit ,2Losses …

its the first time i trade the news , and as i saied , trading news is reasonable since you trade as the market moves , not just looking at charts and guess where it will go …

I blowed 4 demo accounts using chart trading , so my Live account would be news trading , and im planning to start next month …

so , Chart trading = 100% Gambling
News trading = 10% gambling and 90% BRAIN :smiley:

im trading right now with 0.4LOT which mean i earned around 20-24Pips today …

What would you recommend to start trading with when i go live with 3k$ ?
same LOT size , and start increasing to 1LOT when i reach 4k$?

i didnt see the exact tactics to use in School section…

and BIG Thanks again :smiley:

EDIT:
one more thing , Is it a good idea to fund my account with 100USD , and start trading live , to see how things will go , or the difference will not be that HUGE ?

Fund with $100 and trade micro lots is the way to go to begin with in my opinion. Demo trading is fine to learn the technical side of trading but trading with real money from fairly early on is good for getting used to the psychological side of risking real money and practicing proper money management. I wish I’d done that as I ended up picking up some bad habits by trading demo for too long that cost me the first time I went live.

Hey Dale, you are right – there is some delay from the TV feed vs. other avenues. I used to be a subscriber on CNBC satellite radio and when holding it up to the satellite TV (Dish Network) they were not perfectly in sync (several seconds off). Not sure which one is more “realtime” if either.

I personally would not trade off the news so I’m not even sure how helpful it would be, or how much a few seconds would matter to a news trader.

Btw I’m in the US.

Since im still learning , would u explain why dont you trade the news ?

as i understood and tried my self , that news give you a point of what could be the next move on chart ,
But without news its lke 100% gamling , you just guess , and that made me lose every thing on demo accounts …
Now i dont ,

lets say i buy 1Lot EUR/USD depending on resistance and support or wt ever , and then the Employment goes up in the US , that would be a lose trade i did there …

Could you explain how can this trades work without the news become more profitable ?

Thanks

Hello again,

‘Leopardos’:

Well I’m happy to help you although I cannot agree with your statements i.e. trading the news the way you are to ME is a lot close to ‘gambling’ than trading from the charts (price action) or using a decent technical trading system but hey: that’s just me. Obviously I don’t trade ANY sort of news i.e. I’m a long term trader (days, weeks, months). That doesn’t mean that at some point in time I tried to do what you’re doing (on live accounts) and, well, I can tell you that it never worked me not even on one trade. But: we all have to learn I guess i.e. I just hope for you it’s not the ‘hard’ way. PipBandit is quite correct: open a live account and start with $100 before you ‘plough’ some serious money into this news trading ‘system’ of yours. That would be my advice also. I very rarely trade forex (if at all) so again as far as capital requirements are concerned you’re asking the wrong person here although that being said: you know that you should never be risking more than 2% of your capital on any single trade so you simply need to take a look at your ‘system’, see where your entry and exit points are, see what the risk is, and ensure that the risk is no more than 2% on any single trade. Only that way can you work out what your capital requirement is going to be. One problem though: there is now real way of managing your risk trading the news as you want to do it because of all the ‘unknown’ factors i.e. you can never be sure where you’re going to get ‘in’ on a trade and even if you do get ‘in’ on a trade you have now way of knowing whether or not your market order is going to be executed at your price and even if you HAVE the time to set a stop loss you have no idea whether or not it’s going to be ‘slipped’.

Somebody forwarded this to me only today oddly enough. It comes directly from another well known broker with an equally fine reputation (and it’s probably a better explanation than I’ve given you):

[I]‘What is the NFP report?
[/I]
[I]Of all the world monthly economic reports, the monthly U.S. Non Farm Report (NFP) is the most highly anticipated and has the most dramatic impact on the currency market.
[/I]
[I]The report, which is released on the first Friday of each month and states the previous month’s numbers, provides detailed industry data on employment, hours and earnings of workers on nonfarm payrolls. These numbers are the best way to gauge the current state of the US market as well as the direction that the economy is heading.
[/I]
[I]What’s more, the employment numbers provided by the report are used by the Fed to shape their interest rate policies. The health of the U.S. economy and interest rates translate to the strength or weakness of the U.S. dollar.
[/I]
[B][I]Risks Associated with Trading Off-Exchange Retail Foreign Currency During Economic News Announcements
[/I][/B]
[B][I]As with all major economic releases, there could be significant price volatility with this announcement. Currency spreads will typically widen just before the release and will remain wide for a few minutes after. If the announcement is a shock to the consensus estimate, the price of the currency pair could gap significantly. For example, the price on the EURUSD trading at 1.2820 - 1.2822 just before release could gap up 60 pips to 1.2880 - 1.2882, without any available prices available between the price of 1.2820 and 1.2882. A Buy Stop placed before the announcement at 1.2830 would turn into a Market Order and would be filled at the prevailing price 1.2882. The same would be true with a Sell Stop.
[/I][/B]
[I][B]Approximately four years ago we saw a gap of approximately 200 pips on the GBPUSD on a Non-Farm Payroll announcement. While this is an extreme example, it nevertheless is a possibility with trading during economic announcements. Consequently, plan on the spreads widening and, if you are trading with a Buy or a Sell Stop entry order, do not anticipate being filled at your entry price. You will be filled at the prevailing market price after the release, which could be significantly different from your desired price of your entry order.
Please be advised that due to the volatility of price fluctuations during the news, it is possible to see a delay in execution due to the additional verification necessary for each trade.[/B]’[/I]

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!! LOL!!!

‘PipBandit’:

It’s odd you know. When I started out I didn’t believe in demo accounts myself (I probably traded a demo account for one week before opening a live account). I learned ‘bad habits’ trading LIVE accounts and looking back I’m sorry that I didn’t demo trade for a LOT longer before ‘piling in’ LOADS of cash!!! It’s sort of ‘damned if you do and damned if you don’t’ kind of thing I guess!!! LOL!!!

‘dusktrader’:

Thanks for the information. Yep: that’s pretty much the same thing as happens here. I forgot about ONE thing: probably a Bloomberg Professional Terminal would ‘do the job’ (that’s supposed to be ‘top notch’). That is, of course, if you can justify the (monthly) costs (they CERTAINLY ain’t cheap but I WANT ONE ONE DAY)!!! LOL!!! And as with you: I don’t trade the news either for all (and more) of the reasons mentioned above!!! That’s a ‘mugs game’ unless you have the PERFECT setup and a lot of experience (and ‘big ones’)!!! LOL!!!

But you know what: as the years go by and especially of late when I read some of the threads I find myself saying ‘each to their own’. If this works for this guy then great (so far as I am led to believe there are indeed some very successful news traders although I’ve never personally met one). I mean to say: I now believe that there’s no ‘right’ way or ‘wrong’ way to trade as long as it’s profitable over time. Yes: there are some very basic rules to be followed e.g. risk management etc. but there probably are as many ways to trade profitably as there are markets to trade. I mean to say: of late I find myself worrying that some of us may be giving the incorrect advice to the next Jessie Livemore!!! You know: that type of thing. LOL!!!

Regards,

Dale.

Hey ‘Leopardos’:

You were obviously posting your message while I was typing my LONG post above so I only saw your last post now.

I cannot speak for ‘disktrader’ but there are many reasons why I myself don’t trade the news (some of which I’ve already mentioned) but here’s a few more:

Even after a good few years of being ‘at this business’ I don’t have the required understanding of the fundamentals so most times the way price reacts at the time of news data releases make no sense to me.

One other thing that has not been mentioned is that unless the news data realease is a ‘shocker’: most times the data contained in the news data release is already ‘built in’ to the price (you must remember that there are people in this business that are a lot ‘closer’ to it and with a lot more experience and knowledge so they have already done what they need to do long before the news data is released so most of the time you’re getting in near the end of the move. A good example is interest rates i.e. by the time the news data is released price has already moved (or not moved) based on analyst expectations so unless it’s a ‘shocker’ there is going to be little or no movement (this has been the case for at least two or three years now). And of course if it IS INDEED a ‘shocker’ then of course you’re susceptible to all of the pitfalls mentioned.

But hey and as I said: unfortunately the only way you can test your own theory is to open a live account and ‘give it a bash’ because unfortunately for you this is not something that can be paper traded or backtested. If it doesn’t work out: there are many good people on this site that have developed some good trading systems and methdologies and are only too happy to help!!! All you need to do is ask.

Regards,

Dale.

The main reason I personally do not utilize news is because I am a 100% technical trader. News is mostly a component for fundamental-style trading, which I do not do. The only exception, for me personally, is that I avoid trading during the “hot news” periods. To keep things ultra simple, I just look at the economic calendar and for items “they” consider hot, I pay attention to (by “pay attention” I mean: avoid taking trades during that time).

Nothing should be viewed as concrete in this landscape. There is no 100% anything, plain and simple. Calling trading “gambling” can even be offensive to some people who work hard at their craft. (I’m sure you didn’t mean it that way, it’s a common stereotype though.)

Some traders are successful with 100% fundamental styles, others are successful with 100% technical styles. Yet others manage to merge the two in harmony.

There is no right or wrong way. If it works for you, trade it!
:slight_smile:

I would even go so far to say that NOBODY knows which way price will react. I’ve seen frequently where it will do the exact opposite of what it “should” be doing LOL. But in most cases, I think what the news-traders are going for is the shocker reaction – they know price may move violently without needing to know the direction to make their profit.