Equities and commodities forum?

I’m here to ask others if they would have any interest in having a thread dedicated to the trading of equities and commodities???

I’ve attached an anonymous poll.

Regards,

Dale.

That poll only has 2 more days…

That’s a rather short time period for a decent cross sample ain’t it?

:stuck_out_tongue:

Whoa!!! You’re confusing ME Master Tang??? It’s January 2011 now and I was hoping to give it (the poll which SEEMS to be working) until the end of February 2011. That’s a while from today not???

Regards,

Dale.

Oops!!! Sorry!!! You are quite right Master Tang!!! The (my) poll does INDEED close in two day’s time which was not the ‘idea’. Only problem is: I don’t know how to change the ‘expiry date’??? BabyPips Administrator’s: please help!!!

Regards,

Dale.

I can obviously not think about a reason to not get such a forum. What I do not like about these markets, or what i like more about the forex, is the liquidity. Ive been in situations in other markets where my orders just didnt get filled and my probably profitable trades just didnt happen.

Stocks & commodities in a site dedicated to forex? Doesn’t make sense to me but I also don’t see any harm. Still I voted no. d

Think it’d be a useful addition. They’re all inter-connected so having a spot to talk about them directly couldn’t hurt. Or a thread or two could just be started maybe in the Fundamentaville section and stickied.

Hello (again),

I thought I’d give this poll a ‘bump’ today (and will probably do the same at around the same time next month as the poll expires on 1 March 2011 if I’m not mistaken i.e. the administrators kindly fixed the expiry date problem for me some time back).

I’m not sure how many positive votes are required to ‘make it stick’ but I guess I’ll find out on 1 March 2011 not so!!!

As I noted in the beginning: it’s an anonymous poll so if you vote ‘no’ I’m not going to ‘hunt you down and kill you’.

In all fairness though: I don’t honestly see why there is even ONE ‘no’ vote (although ‘dobro’ at least you were ‘straight up’ about it and that I appreciate ‘old friend’ although I did find it a bit ‘odd’ coming from you). I mean: there are forums right here on BabyPips that in all the years I’ve not even visited once. The point is: if it’s not your ‘thing’ then just don’t visit the forum is all.

Remember also: a forum such as this would also include the trading of futures, ALL metals (not just Gold and Silver), possibly even forex futures, and, as somebody else noted, all the markets (like it or not) are intertwined. There is a ‘Commodities and Stocks’ forum (or is it called ‘Stocks and Commodities’) on ‘that other forex site’ and it’s pretty busy I’ll ya!!! Why should ‘they’ have all of the fun??? LOL!!!

Regards,

Dale.

personally, i don’t think it’s a great idea. there are already dedicated forums for that kind of stuff.

I voted yes and mentioned the idea in the feedback poll.

Yes there are other sites that cover this stuff but BabyPips is my go to forex site and these other markets are so important to certain forex trading strategies.

I’m fairly sure an equities and commodities forum would be the 4th or 5th most visited forum on this site.

It’s not a bad idea, just be aware it’s not gonna be that popular.

I don’t see the harm in it and can see it as beneficial. The price of oil definitely has an affect on economies that are highly dependent upon it.

I think it’s a very good idea, OK so there are sites dedicated to this but I’d rather find everything here ! I trust Babypips now :slight_smile:
It’s like going to a Supermarket and finding everything you need under one roof

Why would anyone think it’s a bad idea ? it’s another choice, another option, if you’re not interested, then pass it by, but it’s certainly not a bad idea - Go for it :smiley:

Hi Dale.

You’ve got (y)ears in the equities game which is like the basis of ‘The Markets’ and I’m pretty sure you would deliver about technical aspect of it. The other day someone explained shorting stocks in one or so sentences (…borrowing from broker to sell, then buy back lower return to broker…?) and I was just floored - so simple yet so far still. Have been meaning to seriously pick up a stocks’ book but I haven’t, yet.

Dale, I had thought to come up with a long ramble about ElliotWaveTheory without asking for any permission and a signature that reads “Critics&Trolls will be flamed, survivors will be flamed again” but threads like those take time & sacrifice (Trends, Templates, et al). I had also thought about coming up with ‘Linux for the Trader’ the week I discovered that its actually better than windows, sort of like a crusade for better computing among guys who live eat sleep dream comps {too many hurdles to skip like drivers, running trading platform(s), and big-gun games on linux} and to have everything @ 1-stop-shop BP, but I too wondered just who needs it & where to place it - the MeltingPot, EAAtrading or RateMyWares? Maybe someday when my tusks turn ivory? By Tusker, Fire off!!

Ps* guys need to check out those newer linux distro, my topranking at the moment is Lubuntu_Lite (for the old ones) and _Ultimate Edition 2.8 (1gb+ RAM & fly graphixware).

Good morning,

First: thanks to those who are in support of this idea AND to those who are not (even although you may not think this is a good idea I do respect your opinions and reasons given).

Let me say this: I’m by NO means trying be an ‘upstart’ here and it is not my intention to try to ‘coerce’ people into ‘dropping’ FOREX or anything like that i.e. remember that I DO ‘represent’ a FOREX broker (although of course they do offer all these other instruments that I’m ‘on about’) so it’d be real ‘dumb’ of me to ‘slate’ FOREX or FOREX trader’s would it not. As many of you will know: FOREX has never worked FOR ME but that’s not to say that it’s NOT working for others because we all know it is. I just know that all of these markets are inextricably linked to each other is all and I’m hoping that a forum such as this will accomplish one of two things: either it will aid and assist people who are NOT able to successfully trade FOREX make some money trading all this other ‘stuff’ (because I know that the systems that I have to share DO work for all this other ‘stuff’) OR it will give FOREX traders another ‘avenue’ for confirmation of their trades and possibly and additional ‘perspective’.

From a BabyPips perspective (and this is a personal opinion): it will attract an additional ‘corner’ of the market that is largely ‘left out’ here (and who knows: some additional advertisers as well although from MY point of view that would NOT be a good thing would it now)!!! LOL!!!

Now don’t get me wrong here either: I am BY NO MEANS an ‘expert’ on stocks themselves either so this could be a good ‘learning curve’ for ALL of those interested. There is just SO MUCH out there to learn (if you like learning ‘new things’ everday that is). Just yesterday: I found a site purely by accident that has a veritable WEALTH of information that comes DIRECTLY from the NYSE (unfortunately though you pay for the data but it’s like $6 per month or something stupid like that and even I can afford that). You won’t believe the ‘edge’ that type of information can give you. Commodities also: there is just so much information out there (and not just ‘analyst mumbo jumbo’) that can give you an ‘edge’. I’ve just found that this type of information is lacking for pure FOREX trading. Then again: maybe I’m just ‘in love’ with the whole business of futures and commodities trading. Who knows. As I noted: FOREX and me have a definite ‘love / hate relationship’ (more ‘hate’ than ‘love’ I’ll be honest). But then again: a FOREX trader may well see some of these systems and be able to successfully use them or adapt them for FOREX trading.

I suppose ‘at the end of the day’ this is probably the MAIN (personal) reason:

OK so there are sites dedicated to this but I’d rather find everything here ! I trust Babypips now :slight_smile:

That’s how I feel. I ‘started out’ here on BabyPips and ‘took a trip or two’ to some other sites but soon returned here (too many ‘know it alls’ on the other sites that treated new traders with disdain). So this is ‘kinda like’ my ‘home site’ as it were and there’s a lot less ‘member bashing’ on this site than there is on some of the other sites too let me tell you. The problem is that I find that I don’t have that much to contribute anymore to FOREX trading and it’s a bit frustrating really so yes: I suppose there is a bit of a ‘selfish’ reason for my wanting such a forum because I’d hate to ‘leave’ here (that’s not to say that I would EVEN IF this new forum is not created for whatever reason i.e. if it’s not I DO understand).

Lastly: it doesn’t even have to be in the ‘mainstream’ forums here (well not unless it becomes REAL popular of course) i.e. it could be put in its own section BELOW ‘The Melting Pot’ for all I care!!! LOL!!!

Anyway and like I said: no matter what the outcome of this is I appreciate all the positive AND negative input.

Regards,

Dale.