MetaTrader - It's a Question of Scale

I’m just starting to trade GBP/USD on the 15 min chart using MT4.

Can anyone tell me what the optimum scale is for the currency axis. Depending on how much I zoom in or out on the currency axis it completely exagerates or flattens any trends.

Many thanks.

One trick I learned about Metatrader… if you double-click on the access, it will reset to the normal view.

Right-click inside chart, go down list to properties, choose common tab, check(ing) the “scalefix” (ka-)box locks scale, click “ok” [while at it might play around with checking the other options to see what they do and dont], now you can scroll back (press mouse scroll-wheel to bring crosshairs, or fetch amongst mt4 panel buttons if no scroll, lol) inside a chart like to set s+r, I bet that was it? If youchange timeframe then it somewhats distorts again, such that one has to reset vertical scale either by clicking&dragging chart righthand scale as necessary or going (all the way) >rightclick>properties>common>>scalefix OK to unlock,then again to lock new scalling.

Also learn to set mt4 buttons panels to display only one row for more charts space: no other way to know which buttons to remove but only thru clicking the hell outta them, thus knowing them all including "chart shift"s & "zoom"s. Another simple one (I took rather long before knowing & starting to use it) is Ctr-Y keyboard shortcut. Another is to click crosshairs, then click&drag between two points as in to measure bar, pip & price distance between them, quite indispensable isnt it?

~~~~~~*

Click, geek, click it wonk kick!

you can also left click and drag on the right of the chart where the price is and that will expand or contract the chart. If things seem to flat you can expand them a little that way.

You are asking one of the most critical questions in Forex, and I’m sure this is the downfall of a lot of traders, while 2 charts may look the same, one might have a 300 point range and the other might be only 100 point, it is so easy to get drawn into setups on the smaller range and you will struggle to make a profit, while on the bigger range you’d be making 3 times as much.

So - very important - keep an eye on the ‘size of charts’