Help

hi ive been trading for about 12 months demo and doing well and the last 6 months been using a micro acount can anyone give some advise
im putting in £5000 into my acount and i want to use just 3% per trade with about 30 pip stop should i still be using micro mini or full lots also i heard once you should not trade full lots unless you have a 100k in your acount is that right

You absolutely should NOT be using full standard lots. Positions that large are far to big for an account your size. Stick to micro or mini lots.

My advice would also be to stick to micro accounts for now!

3% of $5000 is $150 divided by 30 pips is $5 per pip. I think a standard lot is worth about $10 per pip so that would be about half a standard lot which is still too much I think.

That would be 5 mini lots or 50 micro lots or 500 nanolots right?

Did I do that math right? Someone check my math!

( I used $ because I don’t know how to make the pound sign on my puter )

I thought, Standard = $10/pip Mini = $1/pip and Micro = .10/pip

edit At least on the Eur/Usd anyway

( I used $ because I don’t know how to make the pound sign on my puter )

£££ :smiley: alt + 0163 on the keypad not the row at the top of the keyboard.

If I was putting £5000 in an account I would be a little nervous if I didn’t even have a clear understanding of how to size the trades. I might ask the broker what type of account will give you the least cost, spreads or commission for your balance and expected trade size.

You be correct :)…5 mini lots is 1/2 a standard lot ;), and as long as one doesn’t get antsy about working with bigger numbers, it’s relatively the same.

You be correct too :slight_smile:

Thanks guys for the replys so how much money should you get your acount to if you want to trade full lots

Depends on the amount of risk you’re taking with your positions.

If you want to risk 3% of your balance on 30 pips in EUR/USD then you’ll want at least (30 x $10)/0.03 = $10,000. If you wanted to risk 1% on 50 pips you’d need at least (50 x $10)/0.01 = $50,000.

alt 0163 doesn’t work for me. when I press the alt key it highlights the ‘File’ in the menu up top. Must be a peculiarity of the Opera browser. Anyway I knew it was some number just didn’t want to try all 1000 of the combinations to find it LOL

I’ve been trading the Daily time frame lately and 30 pips seems awfully tight for a stop. It’s just what you get used to I guess.

iuse a 30 pip stop at most im a scalper somtimes my stop is bottom of previouas candal