Oanda users

I’m having problems with the Oanda platform - having just switched over from previous broker because of problems, what am I doing wrong here ?

It seems in order to buy/sell I have to select all the appropriate options in a box before submitting - now that is taking valuable seconds in which time the price has either risen or fallen - isn’t it instant execution on Oanda ? I’m sure the problem lies with me as this surely can’t be right :rolleyes:

Please advise

try going to tools (at top) ----> user preferences

then under the “TRADING” tab, you can select preset stops/targets/lot sizes so that you don’t have to fill it in every time you open an order window.

hope this helps…

Thanks for that - that has helped.
I’m just not familiar with this platform, and quite honestly, don’t feel too comfortable with it yet,
thanks again

That’s where demo accounts come in handy. As for the instant execution thing, it’s instantly executed once you submit the order. As akeakamai said, you can use the User Preferences to pre-configure things to speak up the order entry process. Also, keep in mind that you don’t need to fill in things like stop and target right away. You can always go back and do that.

I would add if a few seconds are going to make or break a trade your in for a rough time. I do scalp sometimes but even when I scalp I am looking at the longer trend and “know” if I miss the entry by a few seconds or even minutes it will go my way. I find a scalp exit is more important, for that I click on the open position at the top of the platform and have the order ticket up so all I have to do is click Submit.

Shrk,

Noting your comments re the box, if i can get clarification please, are you saying that when the the trade is open, and im looking for the exit, i click the top bar on the trade, and new box apperears with submit / cancel, i can then click submit as and when i need to exit.

I ask because my method of scalping really relies on tiny scalps, lots of them, and the process of moving my mouse from the top bar to the submit button can mean the difference of profit on a trade or loss.

You guys are crazy with short scalps.
Try using one click trades its in the preferences menu under trades. Set the trade size to an amount not a % of margin. If you set it up right you can open a buy trade with one click in the quote window on the buy side of the pair you are trading. You close the trade with one click on the sell side of the quote.

If you have the trade size set to a % of your margin the trade may not be completely closed or you may end up with a net position left open the other direction as you original trade.

If you make a mistake and click the wrong side of the quote well you can guess what happens. Good Luck.

Thanks shr1k, will look at that when i get in.

Note your comments on short scalping, im trying to improve it, but because of my liited experience, i find myself jumping in and out of the pair often, it is getting better, and im leaving trades for longer, but suppose it will come in time.

Oddly, ive tried to swing trade, day trade, but seemed to only make a loss, ive tried this method, and it sorta seems to fit how i approach the forex, and the gains arnt too bad, im actually making profit whereas before i was fundamentally doing something wrong, i simply could not make any demo money. Anyhows i regress, onwards and upwards may the market fil my pockets with silver and gold :slight_smile:

Oanda’s proprietary Java client is pretty terrible. I’m sticking with them because they have the best spreads. I’m pretty limited to who I can use as I live in BC, unfortunately (can’t wait to leave).

Oanda is going to support MT4 soon, or so they say. Personally, I’m waiting for that to happen before I throw any money at them. There are too many issues with their Java client. The main problems being charting pivots properly, 4H and weekly charts. Drives me absolutely nuts.

I use Oanda. I right click and then click market buy, or market sell then click submit. That puts the order out there right now. Then I set my TP and SL. But I’m with Shr1k, I don’t scalp. I may leave a trade running for half a day or more so I don’t care if it move a few pips here or there.