Lot Value

For XAUUSD market, what is the formula for Lot size/USD value/Pips. I was trying to execute a trade for .40 Lot with an account that has $1000 USD and it canceled due to lack of funds. How do I calculate the USD value of a particular lot size? The price I was placing the trade was at $1360.
I am brand new to this and I am sure that the answer to this question is somewhere on this site, but I cannot find it.

The formula is a simple one: $ price x size = $ value. I don’t know what size a 0.4 lot is in your case, but if it’s 0.4 of a standard forex lot, that’s 40,000 units, which is $54.4mln ($1360 x 40,000) in notional value. Even if a lot is only 100 units, 0.4 is 40, which means a position value of $54,400.

Thanks for your help…

Then if a lot is 100 units and the leverage is 50:1 then .4 units at the position is $54,400. If I have $1037 in my account and I try to buy .40 units then the $ amt is $51,850? If this is the case, then I am under the $54,400 position ceiling. Is the cancellation due to lack of funds due to being right on the edge of the spread?

Could be. It might also be that you’re not allowed 50:1 leverage on the XAU. If you haven’t confirmed that leverage availability, you should. Taking a step back, though, why are you looking to trade so big relative to your account? Seems likely to mean more risk than you should be taking.

The 50:1 leverage is correct and yes, that is a big risk for that amount. I am using this example because I just wanted to know what the value is relative to the market price.

Well, if you have $1037 in your account then that is $51,850 worth of buying power (so to speak), so clearly you don’t have sufficient funds for a position worth $54,400. XAU would have to be at $1296.25 or less for you to be able to trade a position that size.