Playback

Hi, I would like to try a few strategies in the forex market, can anyone point me to a platform that will allow playback, this way I can practice my entry and exit, trying out a few things and simply fast forward to see how well or not they did.

Thanx
Gary :45:

1. Open up a demo account with a broker (at this point, you can choose any broker)
  2. Go to the school of Pipsology. Your question indicates that you have almost no knowledge whatsover of Forex.
  3. What you are asking is for backtesting and MQL coding, something that the vast majority of experienced traders either struggle with or don’t know since it’s necessary for them. This is way beyond your knowledge level at this point. See 1, then 2, rinse and repeat several times, and that should answer your questions.

Wow thanx, and you must be right. (saturday)
Next day…Sunday below

Have checked out a number of options yesterday,
Seems there are a number of ways I can go, I like the option of being able to play back a chosen period of time from any currency, and trading as if it were real time, this allows “I think” to get your strategy/ visual patterns in bedded into your brain.
Will give you an example
I just finished course 1 of 2, and to learn his methodology takes practice, since these are all high probability trades, they don’t come round to often.
However this VCR type of playback you can speed things up a little, where in real time your looking at perhaps 2 trades per day, with a playback option, your trading allot more than this, training your eyes and your brain.
I did try and just scroll back the charts, but I found as I looked for the patterns, I was also looking for successful patterns, colored the exercise. "I couldn’t help it"
Cost… some of them have a price, others in Demo, this playback option is free.
Another advantage, you can use this after work, at weekends.
Will try and keep you posted on this issue, for I think it has merit.

new young people read these forums, how many will be put of asking a question if all they see are smart mouth answers…

I wish the reader buckets of good fortune :cool:

No he isnt, he’s asking for playback facilities.

IIRC Ensign, and Neo Ticker provide playback. I think ninja trader also allows tick by tick playback (and its free)

If you are just starting out then use MT4, and scroll forwards one bar at a time by pressing the F12 key

Hi Simbafx, thanx for the pointer “Ensign Charts” $50- £30 per month you get chart facilities that look great, there play-back looks exactly like what I am looking for.
However if you don’t use there FXCN or DBFX feeds, then I think you might have to pay for a data feed, unsure on this, for I read Ninja is free,
Re: FXCM DBFX = read the reviews…
Finding Ninja Trader a little complex just to install, but I am no expert.
Will have a read ---- Neo Ticker

I wish the reader buckets of good fortune

LOL, yep, you’d have to be completely insane !

I am looking at ninja trader (free demo) I have been looking for a good trade simulator that has the capability to use pending orders. track balance or give some sort of stats for a run through the chart and is free. I have used the trade sim available for mt4 and I cant quite get it to do what I want. Thanks for the info on NT.

I use eSignal and with them you can take price bar at a certain point in the future, then replay the bars one by one to see what happened next. I use this a lot for backtesting, and just trawling historic charts for setups when the live charts are quiet. Helps keep me honest about whether I am seeing things with the benefit of hindisight or am genuinely seeing good setups. I do have to pay for eSignal, though, a little over $90 a month.

Even if you were in a position to judge someone else’s knowledge level - which is pretty tricky over this forum - there is nothing in this question that is beyond novice level. Indeed, I used my charting playback facility from my first day’s trading to improve my familiarity with the markets, it helped me enormously and is one of the key tools I used to progress from the rookie stage.

Dropped an e-mail to Ensign last week, 8 days later not a bolt, if they cant answer a simple e-mail, I aint gonna rent there software.
A word regarding 1st impressions, as I was looking through there tutorial videos, I got the feeling that the software was made up from old and new, check it out, some windows looked like I had written the code many moon’s ago, then others gave you the feeling of win 7.
Software still looked good though, will not give up just yet.
Will keep you posted.

Regards
Gary

Forex trading strategy is profitable depends on not only the strategy itself but also on the trader trading that particular strategy.

There is a great little software I came across awhile back called Forex Tester – this allows a full simulation of the trading environment and you can use whatever data you want (ie tickdata if you’re that obsessed). It allows recording and playback and full trading simulation. The other thing I like about it is that it is nearly identical to Metatrader. This software is most useful for discretionary trading methods.

Jumped the gun a little, or perhaps they visit BabyPips, anyhow the next day after I posted the above, received an answer to my e-mail…
Now I must decide :45: Dusktrader dropped a link and this does look very good as well, cheaper eventually as well.
Thank for the link appreciated

Personally I have used both Ensign and Forex Tester. I actually paid for both as well, for a time. I used Ensign for swing trade analysis, and Forex Tester primarily for testing my strategies (I didn’t use them both at the same time).

Without knocking Ensign too hard (it is a good product), I would say that as a beginner, I was overwhelmed by the bells and whistles Ensign offered. I prefer more simple. One of the main reasons I like FT is because it so closely matches Metatrader, even though it is not.

Keep in mind that Ensign can be used for live trading (it can accept a live feed) whereas I don’t think FT can (it is designed primarily for testing purposes only). I could be wrong on this … its been awhile since I’ve looked at both of these.