Help me about trailing stop

i got confused about trailing stop.
i know it is used to lock the profit and control our loss when market reaches particular peak level.
but can anyone explain more clearly with an example?
i searched over google and in this forum also but i did not get a clear idea.

A trailing stop is nothing more than a stop you move as the market goes in the direction of your trade based on some set of rules. For example, if you’re long you could move your stop up to below the most recent lows when the market makes a new high.

Trailing stops are automatically controlled by your local computer. You can set it and forget it. It helps lock in additional profits if you are away. If you have a 15 pip trailing stop and your pair moves 20 pips in your favor, then you lock in 5 pips, not considering spread. 50 pips then you get 35, etc. It will only move in one direction. When you get a retrace and the price equals your trailing stop, then your computer will send a stop order signal to your broker which will close the trade. The key is how much to set the trailing stop. Too tight and you can be kicked out too early. Too big and you miss additional profits. Remember, your computer has to be turned on and connected to the internet (not sure on every broker). Regular stop losses are controlled on the broker’s servers. Hope that helps. Sorry but no pictures

They can be with the right trading platform and the correct fixed set of rules, but they can also be handled manually.