Help a Noobie about Swing high and low

A Swing High is a candlestick with at least two lower highs on both the left and right of itself.

A Swing Low is a candlestick with at least two higher lows on both the left and right of itself.

Could anybody help me and draw a graphical image of the candlestick of swing high and swing low, cuz i dont understand what they mean :slight_smile:

Thank you good ppl

A swing can’t really be described in a post or two, swing trading is a whole concept of trading that takes some quite some understanding, you need to take into account retracements and Fib levels and more, my advice is to get into discussions in the Swing trading forums so you can really get to grasps with this approach.

Swing trading has nothing to do with a swing high, or low.

The pic below illustrates a series of swing highs and lows.

The highlighted blue box has the series of candles as described by the op.

The arrow is the actual high, or low, while the preceding and succeeding series of candles are highlighted in the ovals.

But would you look for swing high and lows when swing trading?

It would depend on the trading method involved.

The longer the trade plan, the less important hourly/daily swing highs and lows become.

Master Tang, is swing trading a strategy that you use? For me it’s one of those approaches that I’m pretty sure is a good one, but I’ve never taken to it.

Swing highs and lows are something that I use all the time with lower-timeframe trading. I’m not sure of the technical definitions of them exactly, but to me they are just ebbs and flows of the price action. When you stare at the charts long enough, you will see that there is a natural swinging that occurs… the highs are usually marked by spikey tops and the lows with spikey bottoms (longer wicks). After awhile you can even predict the swings and take trades based on that intuition. Also I find that swing lows/highs are great starting points for drawing trendlines.

Ah yes, points of retracements ends, along trendlines and the like, as opposed to a whole strategy which would be ‘swing trading’ based on the same principles.

I’m not big on terminology either, in my book it could be a hanging man, a dogi, a shooting star or whatever, but a pointy candle will always be a point candle to me!

Swing trading is more a descriptive term of the average length of your trade, rather than a specific trading method.

But yes, since most of my trades go for a day, or longer, but rarely over a week, I’m more a swing trader.

Here’s a better description of swing trading.

Swing Trading Definition

Thanks for that, now I know, so you’d be talking hourly, 4h and day charts.