ANY EXPERIENCED TRADERS MAKING AT LEAST 100k A YEAR TRADING?

The purpose of this question is two fold.

1. Im interested in knowing if there are any traders here that are really doing well and who have made there money from trading, not other means? (Day job, then saved up 100k and turned it into 200K) There are a lot of people on here who seem to know it all, but the proof is in the pudding. Im trying to find out who really has some pudding.

2. I want to know from those who make their living in Forex if they use business entities and trade as a business or as a sole proprietor?

This is an online forum where everyone has fake usernames and rarely have there own photos in their avitar. Privacy is the last thing any of us need to worry about. I simply want to know who is really having success at this. I would love to pick their brains. Whats the point of asking questions and getting responses from a bunch of strangers hiding behind a screen name if you have no idea if that person even knows what they are doing or simply just pretends to?

check out the ICT thread

Even if someone DID say they made 100k a year, how would you in fact know for sure?

I assure you there are those on here that DO make that kind of money.
Stick around long enough, and you’ll be able to spot the success stories without having to bait them.

Ask your questions, take the answers you like, and quit the silliness.

I thought this was a forum for those trying to learn and for others trying to share their knowledge. I didnt realize I was being silly by asking an honest question. I guess Im just cut from a different cloth. I dont see any reason to lie about how successful one is and I didnt think that others would have a need to either.

Im a direct person. I had a question and wanted a direct answer. I dont see the silliness in that.

Thank you TalonD. I will check it out.

Where’s the silliness?

Some would consider questions, or statements like those in bold, rather condescending.

This place IS about learning, and helping aspiring traders. But unfortunately it IS the internet, and anonymity brings out the worst in some.

Ask your questions, and stop worrying about pudding.
You’ll see the cream rise to the top in the answers you receive.

That’s the one I was thinking of. ICT appears to be the real deal. But there are others also.

I have been on the ICT thread and watched many of his videos, but my issue is this, there are more comments than I can count telling newbies that they have delusions of grandeur. That they can make good money and good returns if they are patient. Then you have the other end of the spectrum claiming that you can make millions. I under stand some of these sources that claim you can make millions are trying to sell robots and systems and have an interest in getting newbies like me excited about huge gains, but some who claim you can make millions arent selling anything.

I just want to know who has actually become very well off from trading forex. Though 100% return on your account per yer is huge, especially compared to savings accounts, money market accounts, CDs, mutual funds, stocks etc. But 100% return on a 2000k account doesnt really translate into making a good living with Forex trading. I simply wanted to know who is making a living with forex. Not supplementing their income, not leaving all the money in their account to grow while they make 50k a year from their 9-5’s but who has found the freedom that making a living from trading supposedly can bring you? I simply wanted to pick those peoples brains. Though the ICT thread appears to be written well by someone with 17 years of experiences and it seems to be sound advice, again, I dont know how many of those 17 years were profitable. I have no idea what his net worth is, or how much he has actually made in forex. Now some might say people want their privacy, but I just put my self in their shoes. If I grew an small account of 2000-5000k into a 6 digit yearly income I would give other details. I would want others to know it is possible. Not because I showed you a spreadsheet that illustrates how 60 pips a week can result in X amount of dollars after two years, but because someone actually spoke up and said, “yes I turned a small amount into a healthy yearly income. I dont work anymore, I have financial freedom now. You should listen to me and my advice because I actually did it.” Thats all I want. I dont want to have to read between the lines and figure out who is the real deal based on how knowledgeable they sound.

if you are able to control your emotions (greed & fear ) you will do it.

just you need to work it in easy way

work for 60 mints chart with its candel sticks

and enjoy with the big bucks

Good luck

Theres one poster you can cross off your list of ‘who is and who isn’t’ making a living trading! LOL

ICT thread is good no doubt about that but I was more than put off by ‘the clock is ticking’ Lets shoot for $5k into $1000k and the vid of Captain America on full auto shooting up bottles (gaming arcade generation)… yeah right. :confused: Wait till they start shooting back!!! Unless he’s got a Howitzer up his sleeve besides the $5k… forgive me… I’ll remain skeptical!

I didnt want to say it, but glad you did! LMFAO

The ‘Arcade’ comment I take to be an indirect reply to my post… so you’ll permit me a reply.

I profoundly respect your right to post whenever and whatever you deem fit… not least on your own site. Thats a given. Rather my concern if I might express it that way is the ‘InnerCircle Trader’ and the ‘$5k to $1000k in three years’ and the way in which this will in all probability be interpreted by persons less experienced than yourself. We both know the ‘stats’ on forex trading… ‘many are called but few chosen’.

Perhaps I’m missing something? Perhaps its a failing in my psychological make up? I just don’t get it? The ‘hype’ I can understand if your aim is to draw people to your site and ultimately a paying service of some kind? Failing this… ?

In any event… as stated previously, the technical analysis in your thread is note worthy and I genuinely wish you every success in your ‘mission’ to become ‘sniper’ of the decade!

Well first off: let me say I’m speechless (and that doesn’t happen too often). It’s starting to look to me as though the people with the LOWEST post counts are the ones making the REAL money and not the ones the HIGHEST post counts!!! LOL!!!

I’m surprised (ICT) that other than one post of mine that you ‘liked’ (I don’t even remember which one it was now) that you and I have not even ONCE ‘interacted’. Of course: I’m particularly impressed in the fact that you’re doing this trading spot FOREX (but we’ll not have that argument here everybody so ‘calm down’)!!! LOL!!!

I for one really appreciate the way that you ‘put’ your last post and I know exactly where you’re coming from and why you’re asking.

I (for myself) can only say that with ENOUGH capital I COULD NOW be making your 100K that you’re talking about. But it’s been a very long road for me and it’s only in the past two years (possibly even less but not by much I don’t think) that I can honestly say that given enough capital I COULD be making your 100K (and it took many years worth of losses and then a ‘spectacular wipeout’ for me to finally ‘get with the program’ and ‘do things right’ and the most important thing that I learned the hard way, NOT THAT I WASN’T WARNED ABOUT IT FOR YEARS BEFORE THAT, was this little thing of ‘risk mangement’)!!!

So to answer your question: NO I’m not making 100K per annum. Is it ‘doable’ (for me now)??? I’d be being 100% honest with you and say yes. The point is that it is possible.

BUT LET ME SAY THIS (and that’s why I quoted the above particular part of your post): therein lies the problem!!! This business capitalises on peoples greed and hope. I myself get INCREDIBLY ‘pis*ed off’ when I see the brokers (and I’m afraid I have to include myself here but it’s ‘not my call’ unfortunately) advertising ‘open a live account with only $100 and we’ll give you a 50% bonus’. Stuff like that. It creates the ‘illusion’ that one can take $100, open a live trading account, and EVEN WITH following the ‘generally accepted rule of risk managment’ and a decent trading system, you’ll be able to ‘quit your day job after three months’!!! It’s a ‘hook’. That’s all it is. First: it’s almost impossible (at most brokers) to manage your risk on any single trade with $100. So they know that you’re going to lose that $100 without a doubt (well: there’s a 90% - 95% chance anyway and those are ‘pretty good odds’ from a broker’s point of view let’s face it). Of course: you’ll then be saying to yourself: ‘but if I had more capital then I would not have wiped out’ so you’ll deposit more (and here I’m not referring to you specifically by the way). And so the cycle continues. Most people will eventually give up. A few, like me, (idiots??? LOL!!!) will ‘stick it out at all costs’ (and believe me when I say the cost to my wanting to be a successful trader has cost me in ways you could never even imagine i.e. not limited to money but, let me say, other than the losses, which I still have to cover, I’d not change a thing to be where I am now no matter WHAT it’s cost).

The point I’m trying to make here is this: without DECENT capital you cannot make REAL money while adhering to strict risk management rules. I don’t know how much capital ICT has but I’m willing to bet that it’s a WHOLE SH*TPILE and that he does not risk anymore than 2% of his account on a single trade (and I’m guessing probably less). (Sorry ICT: I’ve, at best, had a ‘quick glance’ over your thread that you host i.e. given my trading career and history and where I’m ‘at’ now I’m too ‘scared’ to even CONTEMPLATE ‘changing something’ the logic being ‘do not try to fix something that ain’t broke’ which is something I spent a good few years doing and, well, as I said, it cost me dearly).

BUT LET ME ALSO SAY THIS (sorry: lot’s of ‘buts’ in this post): having ‘sh*tpiles’ of trading capital can, and WAS, for me anyway, a ‘double-edged sword’. It CAN result in one thinking that BECAUSE you have so much trading capital at your disposal you can take a few ‘odd chances here and there’ (risk FAR more than you ‘usually’ would, ‘second-guess’ your trading system(s), stuff like that) FALSELY thinking that because you have so much trading capital at your disposal you’ll EASILY be able to recover from the ‘here and there’ HUGE loss. It doesn’t work like that. $100 000 can dissapear JUST as quickly as $100 in this business (and this I know from bitter experience as noted). The bottom line of all of this: if you want to do this for a living then you cannot start out without enough capital because, in its turn, it means that you cannot adhere to strict risk and money mangement rules while still making enough money to pay your monthly bills (at very least). And I agree with you: while those spreadsheets that demonstrate the ‘power of compounding’ are ‘alluring’ to say the least: they normally assume NO losses (or they normally make the assumption that you WILL at the end of each and every single period ‘make’ a given ROI percentage. In the ‘real world’ thing don’t quite work out that way unfortunately).

Regards,

Dale.

Thank you it is appreciated. :slight_smile:

The “ICT Million Dollar Challenge” is something I am doing for several reasons. Firstly, for some reason new traders want to make this proverbial million bucks as if it some how brings the “game” to a victorious conclusion. I have read so many internet maniacs claim they will do it in a year or two or lifetime and you never hear or see them after a week or two. So I will be tackling this goal real time for illustration purposes and I will be donating a considerable portion to charity should I accomplish this task… and for my selfish needs a new toy. :wink:

I have repeatedly stated I do not want any money or “sale” from this. I am content with the money I earn. I do however, seek to read and enjoy others journeys in this business and if I can have a positive part of it… I will and am thrilled to no end!

Why the “hype” you ask? Why do men and women climb mountains, jump out of perfectly functioning airplanes, plunge perilously off high bridges and structures anchored by a rubberband attached to their ankles, speed in cars and like me jet 180+ mph on two wheels, dive to depths and swim with maneating sharks… why you ask? Simply because it is there to be done and I just want the opportunity to leave my impression on this business and document it from beginning to end.

I read Larry Williams book “How I Made One Million Dollars Last Year Trading Commodities” when I was 22 years old and like many new traders… I was stoked and thought, sheesh… I could do that. Then I discovered… well… it is friggin’ hard when you don’t know and or understand “you” and the markets themselves. I toasted many accounts trying to hit homerun records and possibly have lost what many would ever make in a lifetime… so I have had streaks of flaming failure. I’m not immune to the pitfalls that new traders encounter… I have identified them and have since worked on methods that control or at best… reduce their impact on my results.

To be honest, I do not claim new traders should try to run 5k to any number… I will be trading the account in attempt to make the “number”. I have said this already, but should I fall short of my goal and earn 275k… I will have accomplished my goal nonetheless… by illustrating how one personal trader handles real time trading and losses and sticking to the task of the trade and not the money. Trolls will come and I realize this going in… however, it is my focus to make it a very big elephant they have to eat should they pull up a chair and set fork & knife to the endeavor. :wink:

So in summary, the “hype” is just for attention to the event… the more witnesses the more credit it has when it’s over. I’m not selling a service… and there is no “angle” outside the simple pleasure I get by sharing freely and folks like yourself scratching your heads asking… “Why is he doing this?”… this makes it more the merrier! I like the feeling I get when folks discover this has nothing to do with me… but rather everyone fortunate enough to discover the thread early in their trading. The entire thing is about “self-discovery and self-awareness”, and not that of ICT or how good or bad he or his methods are.

I’ve said more than I intended here… but respect and encourage skeptics. Don’t take my word on it… watch and see it pan out. :wink:

GLGT

Interesting thread, lol. I guess the truth lies somewhere in the middle. ICT, sorry to say that, but if you have a goal of making 1 million and you just make 1/4 million this is not reaching the target of your goal. I don’t say it’s bad to make 1/4 million out of peanuts, but this sentence from you is a self cheating one. If you believe you can make 1/4 of a million then why don’t you set your goal to that number? So, here it goes. I could analyze some other clear statements from you or others and would find out that we are all human beings and have a tendency to cheat ourself. Some more, some less. I am however with you that as long as you don’t call for money I can understand why you are doing it. I also do not need to post here, but I’m doing it anyways.

To the point: My point always was, is and will be: That somebody might make a million bucks out of some peanuts is possible. But that doesn’t give anybody else or even himself a warranty, that:

a) It can be made again
b) It can be made by everybody

There are a lot more stories of ppl who got rich and plunged then afterwards to the poor again than stories of folks who kept their money and grew richer. Which again doesn’t say it is not possible. It’s however harder and harder the more money you get. The air gets thinner the higher you climb (or fly). And we all must come down from time to time to tank.

At least it’s all about your risk tolerance. If you risk much, you have more chances. If your risk is too hight, you may blow your account. If you have lets say a risk of 10% drawdown for a year it doesn’t mean it will every year just 10% drawdown. So, if you calculate your trades based on that to the limit, you may find yourself back in margin calls in 5 years. You made a huge portion of money, made it to the tops of the hills and it will all be gone in 5 years (just to say a number).

Most systems (99.9%) I’ve checked with some bots are cra… They have a drawdown of 50% or more. Most people fall for those systems, because they look fancy. They use the system for a couple of months and it seems to work. Suddenly, boom margin calls. The account curve goes like that: 1k, 2k, 3k, 5k, 0k. Then they scratch their head and ask: Holy cow what happened? They start the same game again. Now going to zero straigt. Again and again. Until they give up. At least they invested 10k or so and that was their trading “business”.

This is not how it is going to work. You have to realize, that even after 10 years of consistent profits there might be a year where you will lose a 50% even if you have the best system around with just 10% drawdown usually. This is a statistics business and statistics have the inherent “mechanics”, that impossible things are rare, but possible. There is equality in the short and long run. So, you might have big losses in the short run. Plus you might have them in the long run.

Just my 2 cents.

Thank you ICT. I truely appreciate you comments. I am here to make money, but I want to be realistic as well. If I can make $1mill in a year or more using sound risk management then thats what I want to shoot for. If that is a ridiculous goal and 100k in a year starting off with an account size of $500 or $1000 is more realistic than thats what I want to shoot for. Im not trying to break any forex records or go down in history. I simply want to provide for my family.

The reason I asked the question in the first place is because I want to have a better idea of what to shoot for as well as a realistic time frame to give myself. Also I wanted to know who is doing well so I can focus my energy learning from those doing it, and not those regergitaing the advice of others while their accounts are blown out time and time again.

I saw a blog post online that showed a simple chart. This chart showed you how with an account of $500 and a gain of 3% a day. In 259 days you can have a balance of just over $1million dollars. I continued that chart to 365 day. 1 year of trading and with that same 3% a day you will be at just above $24million. ALL STARTING WITH $500. So I opened an account with $700 and in 5 trading days I made gains of 63%. I was two weeks ahead of schedual. I had winning trades and I had lossing trades, but at the end of each day, I made way more than 3%. Then on the 6th day, I let my greed and emotion get in the way. I didnt put a stop loss because the trade immediately went south and I figured it would correct its self. I was so sure that I knew what the market would do. I left the trade open all day, no stop loss figuring even if it went down, 50, 100, 200 pips, it would go back up because that was the long term trend and I would still make a profit. Well my emotion and greed were the result in me blowing out my account. My $700 plus 63% gains were all gone.

I was upset at myself but realized, that risk management and stop losses are essential. That you have to trade with a plan. NO EMOTION ONCE SO EVER! Im encouraged to get back into it. Back on the horse as they say. I believe I can make 3% a day and be well on my way to $1Million in less than a year, and more if I stay the course, but doubt does sometimes get the best of me. I wonder if I am a fool for believing this, and because of my doubt want to know if anyone else has been sucessful.

Thats All.

Thank you ICT. You have encouraged me. I might not make it to $1Million in a year, but I know huge gains are possible and that alone is encouraging.

Thank you again ICT. Your two post have encouraged me more than you know.

Just don’t make the mistake of writing yourself off as a failure should you miss the 3% a day target. Even 0.5% a day gives you 10% a month, which is a pretty amazing return compared with most investments I can think of. Also, this thread started out talking about 100K a year, now there is talk of ten times that. Both are realistic figures at some point, I would just caution that a relative beginner talking about 3% a day/$1,000,000 a year is setting themselves up for disappointment. If you hit 10% a month in your first year then you are financially sorted at some point in the relatively near future, even starting out with $500. So just don’t put too much pressure on yourself at the outset, that’s all I am saying.

And please don’t think that I am being negative, Forex can provide an amazing income/lifestyle etc., I completely belileve that. Just don’t think that if you ‘only’ manage 10% a month for a while that it is not going to happen for you, as in my experience belief that it can work is a key element of having the confidence necessary to keep placing trades mechanically once the numbers get bigger. So by all means set an ambitious target, all I am saying is don’t get disheartened if you miss it at first. You don’t have to make 3% a day to change your finances forever.

ST

Thank You as well ST. I do understand what you are saying and I do keep that in mind Believe me.