Custom indicators not loading to my MT4 demo. Please help!

This is an issue nobody can seem to solve, so I present it here in hopes of settling my nerves once and for all.

I’ve downloaded two custom indicators, dragged them directly from my download screen to the lower left area of my MT4, AKA the Navigator/Indicators area, as I was instructed to do by many. It seems like all goes well at first. I don’t get the circle with the line through it saying I can’t drag it there, I get that nice little box icon, then I drop it right in there. Problem is, it never shows up in the navigator after that. I’ve done it numerous times with both downloads, and get nothing. I run Firefox 4 and do not open or tamper with the files before dragging them to the navigator. Yet I cannot use them. So I have two questions…

1. WTF!!! What am I doing wrong? It has to be some tiny little obvious thing, but I just can’t figure it out.

2. One of the indicators was the Inverse Fisher Transform, but it was shown to be a janky version of it later on in the thread I got it from. Anyone have a better place I can find a complete MQ4 file of this that works well??

I’m grateful for any help on this. And it’s nice to be here BTW! :13:

That’s not how you put a new indicator into MT4.

Close MT4, and if the files aren’t zipped, zip them. It will make it easier.

Next, hit the zipped file, so it opens the window with prompts asking you where to extract the files to.

When it does that follow the path listed:

Expand drive C
Select Programs, and expand
Next, select the MT4 program and expand.
In the MT4 program, select Experts, and expand.
In the experts list, look for “indicators”, and highlight it by left clicking.

At the bottom of that window, click the “okay” button, or whatever prompt your particular zip program gives you to complete the extraction to that location.

Open your MT4 program, and your shiny new indicator, with all it’s bells and whistles, will be listed under the “custom” list either in the navigator on the left of your screen, or at the bottom of the selection list from the toolbar at the top of the program.

Hi,

Why don’t you upload the indicators here and let somebody else try them to see if they have the same problem (although I don’t think you have enough posts to be able to upload files yet so post the links instead but, again, because you don’t have enough posts, you’ll need to post the links WITHOUT the ‘http://www’ part i.e. just the text part of the links themselves).

Be aware though that some of the custom indicators that are ‘floating around’ are sometimes not what they seem!!! If I’m not mistaken I have a custom written Fisher Transform lying around somewhere for MT4 but it wasn’t worth the effort I went to to download it!!! The Fisher Transform method(s) (there are more than one) are EXTREMELY difficult to code correctly so when looking at a chart with the indicator(s) it APPEARS as though you’ve found ‘The Holy Grail’ of indicator(s) UNTIL you start to trade live with them i.e. they ‘repaint’ themselves as new bars appear on the chart and, well, of course, inevitably what APPEARED to be a signal NO LONGER WAS a signal after a few new bars have been drawn on the chart so TEST, TEST, TEST is all I’m saying).

Regards,

Dale.

Edit:

Alright well Master Tang ‘got in’ before me i.e. he was replying to you while I was busy typing my post above. Try HIS method first. If it doesn’t work THEN try to follow my instructions.

Either way though: take heed of my warning about some of these indicators that ‘repaint’ themselves.

If you’re still stuck, post up a couple of screenshots so that we can see exactly what’s going wrong.

Fellas, thank you all very much for your help. I got back in town, brought a techie friend of mine over, and thanks to the above posts we figured it all out. Also, thank you Dale for the repainting warning, better I know that now than figure out the hard way.