Help! Which Time Frame is the best to illustrate the trend?

Hey guys,

I’m a newbie to Forex trading. I’ve been practicing a little bit on a demo account and I’ve found it is really hard to find out the trend. I watch the 60 mins and 5 mins mainly and before i take action, I usually look at the 1 min to confirm about the direction. But I am still confusing about this. Is there any tip or trick for which charts I should be using?

Thanks

Lulu

Like most things in forex the trend is relative. If you are trading
the smaller timeframes 1M etc. the 15M or 30M should be used, then
if you are trading the 15M, 1H 4H et al.

From the school

Trend Lines | Support and Resistance Levels | Learn Forex Trading

also more reading

Forex Trend Lines

there is also an ebook download it.

Thank you a lot!

I can’t imagine reading the trend on 1M chart other than after news releases. You have to remember the higher the TF the more reliable the data. I would say never go lower than the 15M until you are more experienced, but you should also look at 1D and weekly from time to time.

Regardless of which timeframe I am trading (I trade a number of different TFs from the five minute up), I always check the Daily chart to gauge the overall sentiment of the market. That does not mean that I will not trade against the overall trend that shows me - a Daily retracement can, after all, present as a tradeable trend on, say, the Hourly - but I find that starting out reading the trend (or lack of trend) on the Daily really helps shape my trading for the day, helps me interpret what is going on lower down.

I am still new but the daily or higher will always give you the strongest overall trend indications. But I think a multi time frame system is always useful using 4x time increments to gauge current trends/sentiments and use a smaller TF for entry, stop loss, take profit etc… IE you focus on 1 hour charts this is your main chart. Use 4 hour chart to get a feel for the larger trends and more ‘birds eye view’ of the trends. Then go down to 15min chart to look for more detailed spots for entries, TP, SL.