What is the meaning pips?

Is it an abbreviation for something else? Pips? I am a newbie trying to learn something!

When it comes to forex pip stands for performance index paper.

“Performance index paper”? Can’t say I’ve ever heard that. Don’t even know what that means.

Honestly, not too many people could probably answer the question with any authority. I’ve heard it called an abbreviation for “price interest point”. For the common forex market usage that wouldn’t seem to apply, though, since we aren’t talking about fixed points, but rather collections of them.

A pip is generally thought of as the smallest increment of price movement in a currency pair. Even that is a bit of a touchy definition, though, since there are now pippettes (fractional pips) quoted in some places.

Thanks for the explaination rhodytrader, I knew the basic concept but that really makes more sense than I’ve heard before - sounds like it varies from person to person

Thanks for giving me an idea of what the word “pips” actually means. I apprecaite it!

I prefer “[B]P[/B]aper [B]I[/B]n my [B]P[/B]ocket [B]S[/B]omeday” :slight_smile:

Before this post I knew that PIP stands for Percentage In Point.
Is it?

Pips are small but easily countable items. The term is used to describe the dots on dominoes, dice, denote suits, and is the name for the small seeds of some fruits. It could be used as a synonym for dot in most situations, for example morse code.
Pip (counting) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1. Games
    a. A dot indicating a unit of numerical value on dice or dominoes.
    b. A mark indicating the suit or numerical value of a playing card.
    pip - definition of pip by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.