Newbie software question about brokers

I posted this in the software forum but it got very little traffic and no responses so maybe it would be better appropriate to ask here since it satisfies a question from a new student!

some brokers carry both web based and client side based platforms (forex.com for example) and some only have web based (OANDA et al)

Can anyone discuss with me the pros and cons of both solutions?

My personal feeling is I’m a bit oldschool and feel weird about running software purely based off a java client or something and just feel safer using a downloaded platform, however it seems there’s a growing trend with internet based (webbased/java) clients. The Mac computer growth is overwhelming and it still puzzles me that very few brokers cater platforms for them.

But then this exact issue partially explains the growth of web based. Anyways! I was just curious that besides customization abilities in downloadable platforms (which frankly I care little about. I’m hardly a programmer) what are the pro’s and cons otherwise? Do charts run faster or more accurately in either? Order execution? A difference in security?

Thank you all in advance. I’m really quite perplexed!

Execution should not be different but like all web based platforms over a downloaded platform, speed of the actual navigation tends to suffer. I use fxcm and have both a pc and mac. The platform on pc to me is the best platform for forex full stop. The web based one? Unusable in comparison and therefore I never use my mac for forex!

I too use FXCM and agree that the web based platform is on the brink of being unusable. I also have a share dealing accounts with IG and Saxo and their web based platforms are much better in comparison, so it would all depend on who’s platform you are using? If you are trading on a Mac, I would recommend using parallels VM.

Have you experienced this with other brokers also? Like would it be almost difinitive to say that client side platforms are generally faster performing and stable vs. web based java clients?

I ask because there’s a pretty large OANDA user base and from my understanding their purely java based with a push for mobile integration also. I’m a bit oldschool and really can’t fathom conducting financial business over a web–based client. (besides internet banking I suppose) I have a preconditioned expectation that a user side platform is more secure but I guess the real difference then is performance eh?

Thanks for the contribution guys.

Never tried oanda but I tried other brokers at the start. I guess it comes down to preference-personally I’ve yet to find a web platform that betters the downloaded experience. FYI I prefer using macs so if I could trade from it without a big difference I would…