What is a fractal?

I’ve seen this term being used before but I still don’t know what a fractal is. Can someone please explain? Thanks!

Try first looking up Mandelbrot(creator of fractals) and fractal-geometry… i’m not how it is incorporated into a system, but this should give you the basic idea of what it is

Definitely look up Mandelbrot, you can just search him in google and come up with tons of content. I have seen it used more in art than anything, but somehow it ends up mathematical…I have just not studied it much to know exactly how it works.

I thought I’d bring this thread back up rather than starting a new one about fractals.

I understand what a fractal is. My question is at what point does it form? Will you see it at the beginning of the candle it appears with? Does it form at the close of the candle it appears with? Does it form only when it has it’s 5 bars (candles)? The latter makes the most sense to me.

:confused:

A beautiful video on fractals in nature!

I think their appearance in the markets
is really interesting.

:slight_smile:

Fractal geometry has many uses, as in the studies of galaxies and grains of sand, one can find similarities on certain levels.

With forex fractal geometry has to do with the fact that most chart patterns will work on multiple time frames. A head and shoulders pattern can be seen on a 4 hour chart and works out well. Does that mean that you should ignore a H&S on a 15 min chart?

Even on a 1 minute chart Fibonacci levels and certain chart patterns work out to some degree even though most say its only noise, I disagree. I do not make trade plans off a 1 min chart, but it is undeniable that the patterns are there none the less.

Well said!

My areas of interest in fractals as applied to forex are these two:

1. As you mentioned, the same basic trends, ranges etc. existing in
    and in fact constituting all time frames.

2. Defining S/R swings using fractals.

Viva la Fractal!
:smiley:

Take a look through this thread:

http://forums.babypips.com/newbie-island/13380-trend-lines-support-resistance.html

I think it’s a bit more ‘to the point’ of what you’re looking for i.e. look for all my posts on the thread regarding fractals and how and when and why they are formed on a chart and details are given on one or two ways to use them (well at least the way I use them WHEN I use them which is NOT very often but the information is there nevertheless).