Non-matching charts (seen on reviews/news to the ones on my MT4)

Hello Babypipers,

Let me just post a (maybe dumb?) question which bothered me today again: sometimes when I’m looking at online reviews/news, I see that the charts shown for the day for a pair do not quite match the same corresponding (MT4) chart I see on my PC. For example, on a daily chart, it sometimes looks like if candles were combined into 2-day or more candles… on a daily chart, each candle is supposed to represent one day and only one day, right? Daily charts for a pair for a given window of time, if plotted on different platforms, should all have the same number of candles, right? This should be time-server, zoom-, and platform-independent, right? :-/

Has anybody out there seen what i mean?

Anyhow, this is just an example; it applies to any time-frame…

Thanks in advance!

they might not be the same at all. the charts on your MT4 will be set up based on the brokers server time. My preference is to have the daily candle start/end at the end of the trading day New York time. (5 PM EST). Some Mt4 brokers include a separate Sunday candle that is a daily candle but is only a few hours long. Crazy right. Depending on how you trade you may want a demo account with a broker that charts the daily the way you want. I say demo because I would not consider daily candle closing time as a reason not to use an otherwise good broker.