Parabolic SAR and Confirmation

Hi everyone,

Has anyone used Parabolic SAR as a confirmation tool? I have been testing it out for quite sometime and it seems that it is successful at identifying new trends (only in trending markets) and identifying exit points.

NesmithDJ

SAR, Stop and Reverse. It’s very good for exit points in smaller timeframe (early warnings of trend change) So surely, it’s a nice tool for confirmation.

I even use SAR to enter and exit trades in the main trend, but with the help of a Gann Hilo Activator set to 3.

Put these two indicators together, beautiful.
You can catch currency swings easier and turning points, moreover exit points as well.

Very helpful indicator indeed.

Plot the price with it. Notice that the price moves right along the Gann Hilo line either above or below it. Great for stops. When price is above the HiLo Activator it can be used as a buy stop and when price is below the HiLo Activator it can be used as a sell stop.

I want to add that there is a fact, when SAR and Gann Hilo Activator, both are heading in same direction, most likely the trend is resuming.

Use 15m, 4hr, daily to get an overall idea.
When they are twins, there is a movement in the trend direction.
When one leaves the other (conflicting signal) that’s likely a pause in the trend you can catch in 15m. Sweet stuff that I can re enter on the main trend after the trend resumes.

All in all, I use them both for entry/exit, as early as they go below price, I set buy, and as early as one indicator goes above price, that’s my exit.
Ofcourse, the trade is setup on main trend direction only (4hr or daily).

I’ve traded Parabolic SAR as an exit tool. For example, if I’m trading a 1-hour chart and I’m long, I look at the 15-minute chart and exit my trade when when the “dot” switches.

How does the Gan Hilo Activator work and where could I learn more about this indicator?

NesmithDJ

Gann Hilo is an indicator that uses a simple MA of the previous 3 periods. Your broker platform usually provides you with access to all kinds of indicators like GH. I use this.

http://www.cmsfx.com/en/trading-software/vt-trader-features/many-technical-indicators/gann-hilo-activator/