Excel margin calculator

I’m still trying to wrap my head around the basics of margins so I’ve created an excel spread sheet to help me figure out a few different things.

Can someone please look over this and see if it’s correct.

What I’ve done is make it so you enter a few details including what % of your account you wish to risk, then it will work out the amount of units you need to buy. If you don’t have enough margin in your account it lets you know and you can increase the leverage to meet the margin requirement.

Follow the instructions from 1 to 6 in the excel.
The values in blue you can change, the ones in black you shouldn’t change as they are calculated values.

Playing2.zip (4.4 KB)

1 Like

Pretty good but use this

Position Size Calculator: Free Online Forex Position Sizing Calculator

I had to fix up a few little things as it wasn’t calculating the price correctly.

I have a question though, so the leverage that is being used does not determine at all how much you win or lose.

So if I place one order with x leverage, then I place the same order again but now with 10x leverage. The outcome of the order will be the same, as the leverage just gives me access to place larger lots. But since the order is the same with the same lots the outcome will be the same.

Is this correct?

Tried it with my account which was @ $25 and seemed to work well.

Look if you use stops in terms as a percentage of your account say 2%. Then leverage has no effect on that as 2% is 2%. Now if you are asking if you set a 20 pip stop with 50:1 leverage is the risk the same with a 20 pip stop using 100:1 lever then my answer is no. Your risk is doubled since you leverage was doubled. If you set stops where ever you decide then figure out your lot size in percentage of your account. Then the only effect leverage has is on your margin. The higher the leverage the less margin is required to entered a trade.

What the excel sheet does is you put in your stop loss first, then you put in how much you wish to risk of your account as a % then it calculates how many units you should buy.
But whats confusing me, which is what you said is that the higher the leverage now the lower the lower the margin I need to enter the trade.
This means a higher leverage will give me more usable margin so I have less chance of being stopped out, so now im confused because higher leverage here equals less chance to be stopped out.
Ive attached an updated fixed version.Playing4.zip (6.12 KB)

You can see if you change the value of margin from 100:1 to 20:1 with the current settings the usable margin goes down to about 1000 when the leverage is at 100:1 the usable margin is 4200. So higher leverage gives you less chance of being stopped out?

No margin and leverage have nothing to do with you stop since you look at it in terms of account percentage. I was just trying to answer a question you asked in your last post but I obviously didnt do a good as a job as I thought lol. I will let someone else explain that better than me but yes your calculator works just fine

Hello PAG42,

It appears to me that you’re not getting a simple answer to a simple question. Let me ‘give it a bash’.

Levererage, margin, and risk are, to a great extent, misunderstood (although there are many MANY posts around here explaining the difference i.e. I know of at least two of my ‘infamous’ posts on this very same issue).

Let me also say that I’ve not downloaded or checked your Excel Spreadsheet simply because I don’t see the point in your having to go to all the time and trouble of creating an Excel Spreadsheet to calculate your spot FOREX position size, based on your chosen risk percentage per trade, when there are hundreds, if not thousands, of online spot FOREX position size calculators for spot FOREX traders. If you REALLY want me to take a look let me know but I think you’ve gone to a lot of unecessary trouble although you may have personal reasons for doing so and if that’s the case i.e. if you don’t want to use any one of these online spot FOREX position size calculators for a particular personal reason then my apologies for my comment.

Levereage has nothing at all to do with position sizing and the calculation of risk.

Simply put:

If you buy or sell 1 000 units of EUR/USD you will be making or losing $0.10 per pip movement (and I MEAN per PIP movement not by per FRACTIONAL pip movement e.g. 1.4000 to 1.4001 is 1 pip NOT 1.40000 to 1.40001. The latter being FRACTIONAL pip pricing).

It doesn’t matter whether you’re trading at 1:1 leverage or 50 000:1 leverage: the above applies (the 50 000:1 is a personal joke of mine i.e. the actual highest leverage on offer I’ve ever seen has been 1 100:1 seen on offer just last week as a matter of fact). The only difference that leverage makes is how much of your capital is required and ‘used’ as margin to open the position and is then ‘reserved’ (unusable for anything else) while that position is open. Once you close that position (whether it be at a profit or a loss) this amount of margin is ‘returned’ to your capital.

So you need to ‘attack’ this issue from a different perspective. Assuming you have a trading system or methodogy that tells you what your entry price is and what your stop loss price is: you will know how many pips difference there is between the two. You need to then ‘translate’ that number of pips into a $ value per pip movement and from there you can work out what your position size should be for that particular trade.

Why I say that you’re making a lot of work for yourself: it’s easy to do this on a pair like EUR/USD because it’s a ‘given’ that 1 000 units will give you $0.10 per pip movement. But it’s not quite that easy if you start trading currency crosses OR USD/??? pairs and it gets even more difficult if your trading account is not denominated in USD. These online spot FOREX position size calculators take care of all of that (by automatically retreiving the relevant spot FOREX rates and doing the relevant conversions and calculations automatically).

As has been noted: BayPips has one but the number of pairs on which these calculations can be performed is limited. If you’re only interested in trading the major pairs then it’s no problem. If you intend trading more currency crosses or what are known as ‘exotic’ pairs then there are many other spot FOREX position size calculators avaiable on the Internet (for free other than the odd ‘painful in your face’ banner advert in most cases).

The reason that people say that ‘leverage is a killer’ is because high leverage will encourage or ‘lull’ the trader to overtrade their account. Because we’re ‘human’ (and I’m assuming you are): it’s easy to fall into this trap. You may have, say $1 000 in capital in your account and you have high leverage (let’s say 500:1). So you do all your calculations and open your position and you may be using only $5 of that $1 000 (not exact figures i.e. just giving you an idea) to open a position and maintain that open position. But as I said: being ‘human’ it’s easy to think 'but wait a minute: I’ve got all this available margin left so why not open another position, or two, or three, or ten, or twenty)!!! What (new) traders lose sight of (and sometimes ‘old timers’ like me and a few others around here too I’ll wager) is that the NETT or COMBINED exposure (risk) of all of these positions could be 60% of your capital!!! And THAT’S why high leverage CAN be an issue. RISK PER TRADE is the important factor NOT the amount of leverage used.

I hope this makes things clearer. If not: ‘shout’ again. LOL!!!

Regards,

Dale.

Yes I thought so, leverage just gives you more rope to hang your self. the amount of rope you use is still defined by the lot size. Thought this was the case.
The reason why I designed my own calculator, took a whole 5 minutes was probably from my background in engineering. I don’t except or use anything on face value unless I understand it fully, and you’ll never understand what is actually happening calculations wise if you use some one else calculator. Besides it’s grade 5 maths, just an initial confusion with the terms of leverage and margin and converting between different pairs.

Hello (again).

leverage just gives you more rope to hang your self

Now that’s a good way of putting it!!! LOL!!! And pretty true too!!!

I don’t except or use anything on face value unless I understand it fully, and you’ll never understand what is actually happening calculations wise if you use some one else calculator

I think you’re going to be JUST fine. You’d be surprised at the number of indicators out there that are not coded correctly nor work in the way that their original designer / developer intended them to.

Regards,

Dale.

So I want to asking in thema.
So i recently have found program that quickly calculate margin
on my htc (windows phone 7) with variable tax. But i do not
sure is this right app.
So, i place 50% margin and cost 3000$.
Variable tax is 6,5 under 5000 and 6% over 5000.
But it give me results sell: 6385 %.
is this right result?
So i thought:
if over 5000 result is 6000*0,06 + 6000 = 6360

App called iMargin (avialable on app store/android market/marketplace)