Question about Bid Ask spread and execution

Assuming the spread is one pip and you set a pending buy and sell order at the same price; is it possible one will execute and the other will not or do they execute at the same time even though there is a spread? Thanks

Marvin the Martian------ “Give me all your PIPS earthlings.”

Measuring The Trade - Learning Center

I hope that helps. You buy at the ask and sell at the bid. So there is never a sure trade in both directions at the same price, because your broker is the one who has the power over your spreads.

Thanks Buckscoder

The reason I asked this questions is because of a hybrid martingale startegy I was trying to figure out. It is from another forum from years ago. It basically is a buy and sell at the same price strategy. Of course huge drawdown with small gain with these types so you have to have a large account compared to what you trade to absorb the drawdowns. The broker I use now has a spread of around 1 pip for eur/usd and I am charged a 1pip commission fee. I was trying to figure out if this system was even worth the time since the creator did not include spread/commissions in the figures which has a huge effect on the actual ending profit. You have to stop trading at some point and you always end with one winner and one loser and he did not appear to take the loser into account when he stated the profit in his strategy. I did figure I could possibly consistenty make a small amount of money even with the spread and commission fee. However, the catch, since the bid and ask or 1 pip apart and you never know when one may execute and one not leaving one of the trades hanging and then boom. There goes the monkey wrench into the system. Trading systems look fine at first don’t they!:wink:

Well, just my opinion. I’d avoid martingale as the highway to hell. This “game” is not about winning every trade and then revenge trade if you lose. Martingale is in fact a revenge system. There are better ways to make money.

I’m not saying sort of martingale couldn’t work. If you have enough capital and an edge which is like say 90% of winning trades, it could maybe worth a try. Albeit if you have already a system with 90% winning trades, why would anybody want to use a martingale on that? Makes no sense imho.

The issue with a full martingale is that if you have just a 50% or slightly less edge (your broker takes away from your edge) then you will likely end up broke at the end. Because you can not close out the possibility of say 50 losing trades in a row out of 100 trades. Even 20 losses in a row with 1 buck starting is 2^20 and thus you need a capital of 2^20 bucks. Which is a lot of money just to make it back and then 1 more.

Blessing System.pdf (326 KB):29:Maybe if I want to actually make money at Forex I should move to Cyprus and start a Forex Brokerage Company. LOL

I have attached a copy of the the trading system. Please check it out and tell me what you think. Thanks

LOL. No, there are ways to make it. Just look around a little, invest “some” time and education. I guess it’s easier done than to open a brokerage office, lol. :slight_smile:

I have been trying almost 2 years. The best I have ever done at being consistent was back in the late spring/early summer when I took $400 and something and turned it into about 3k in 10 to 11 weeks. I then traded on a day that I was in a bad mood and the perfect stormed occurred and Boom. Bye bye money. I made the dumb and dumber guys look smart.

Everyone feel free to check out the attached PDF and review the system. Here it is…

Blessing System.pdf (326 KB)

Well, there are systems out there which work. Maybe not the best performance, but I’m sure with a positive expectancy. Even “just” 20% roi average a year is way better than 1% interest in a bank account. You just need to stick to such a system a 100%. Plus the deposit should also be smaller than for that of opening a brokerage office, lol.

I agree, avoid martingale strategies like the plague. It is revenge trading at it’s best and in a way, it is like averaging down or adding to a loss. If anything you may want to try testing some pyramiding strategies. They really allow you to maximize the move when you are right, but cut your losses short when you are wrong.