The open price of a candle does not match the close price of the previous candle

If the open price of a candle does not match the close price of the previous candle (I noticed some times a difference of 4 pips or even tens of pipis), is this because while one candle closes and another opens up there is sufficient “unrecorded” trading?
This is confusing, because I would expect that the open price will always match the close price of the previous session.
If a candle closes at, say, 4:00 pm at, say 119.00, should not the next candle open at 4:00pm + 1 second at 119.00 as well? Can so many pips be accumulated after 1 second??
Gigio

Sometimes the price can move so fast that it will in fact cause a discrepancy between the close of the previous candle and the open of the current candle. I’ve seen this happen a few times and I don’t know if theres any other explanation for it.

Some people call it “gap” it happend from time to time and indicate verry strong pulse to a market curent direction. I know few patterens wich are based on gaps.

Best Reguards

Vladimir.

Thank you!