Calculating the pip value?

Hey…please help me to calculate the pip vlaue…am new to forex trading…

Right now am trying the demo account on Zulutrade using it’s autotrading

EUR/USD bought at 1.27243
Closed at 1.27368

Micro lots 5

Profit : 12 pips €4.91
Total : 120 pips €44.96

In the above example…how can i calculate the pip value…is it possible to know how much leverage used in this ?

To calculate the value of 1 pip in this particular trade, use the Babypips calculator.

Start at the top of this page, and click on Tools.

[B]Tools > Forex Calculators > Pip Value Calculator[/B]

When you have the Calculator on your screen, enter:

Currency pair — [B]EUR/USD[/B]
Position size — [B]5000[/B] (this means 5,000 units of base currency = 5 micro-lots)
Ask price — [B]1.27243[/B]
Value in — [B]EUR[/B]

Hit calculate, and you get the answer: [B]pip value = €0.3929[/B]

Your profit in pips was [B]12½ pips[/B] (not 12 pips, as you stated)

Your total profit on this trade, in euro, was 12½ pips x €0.3929 per pip = [B]€4.91 [/B] — In your post, that figure is correct.

(I don’t know where you got the 120 pips figure, or the €44.96 figure.)

Regarding the actual leverage used in this trade, [B]divide €5,000 by your account balance (in euro).[/B]

If your account balance, when you entered this trade, was €753 (as an example), then you used actual leverage of
5000 ÷ 753 = 6.64:1

Thanks clint…this was very helpful

123…,

I made an error in my previous post, which I have corrected by editing the post.

Here’s the correct info: Using 5000 as the Position Size, the Babypips [B]Pip Value Calculator[/B] yields the value of

1 pip, in euro, [B]for the entire €5,000 position.[/B]

Therefore, [B]your total profit on this trade is[/B] 12½ pips x €0.3929 per pip = [B]€4.91[/B]

I was in a big hurry when I posted my response to your questions. Sorry for the confusion.

Hey …thanks

regarding the leverage…i have some confusion…

If my Equity is €10000 …
Then to calculate the leverage : 5000 ÷ 10000 ? is this the way ? am not sure…please could you explain me this…

Well, the calculation is correct, but the result is meaningless.

Leverage comes into play when you enter a position that is [B]larger in value[/B] than your account balance. If your account balance is €10,000, then any position size larger than €10,000 involves the use of leverage.

If you enter a position [B]equal in value[/B] to the size of your account, then you are using your entire account, but you are using [B]no leverage.[/B] You could do the math: €5,000 ÷ €5,000 = 1 (meaning 1:1 leverage), but that calculation is meaningless.

If you enter a position [B]smaller in value[/B] than your account balance, then you are using less than your entire account, and again you are using [B]no leverage.[/B] In your example, €5,000 ÷ €10,000 = 0.5 (meaning 0.5:1 leverage), but again this result is meaningless.

[B]“Leverage” of 1:1 or less is not leverage.[/B]

lol @ ‘or less’ … that’s a new one.

So if I have ‘leverage’ of 1:0.5, that’ll mean I need 200k to open a standard lot … like, I’m leveraging out my money instead of using the broker’s, for a change. :smiley:
While I like my broker, there are limits to my affection.

Okay, before anybody takes this seriously: obviously the minimum ‘leverage’ is 1:1, meaning one isn’t using any leverage at all.

Clint, that last line of your post ‘made my day’ at 8am. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
O.