Give up medicine studies to become trader?

Good idea ?

I just failed my exams and i feel a lack of motivation. Medicine require to learn tons of books and i’m tired of doing this… i still have a looooong way to travel until i’ll become a doctor (i’m in the 2nd year).

After reflexion i understood that all what i want is money. I want my work to be directly turned into making money.

If i continue my studies my wages will be like … 5000 bucks a month ? 10 000 ? In 10 years or more ???

As i read in the ATM method even with a 10 % per month with 1000 $ i can have a million in 10 years. And if i continue with this method , 10 % of a million is 100 000 $ per month. I’ll be much more wealthy than i was a doctor.

But if i fail at trading… i’ll just be unemployed…

What do you think about that ?

Bad idea. Your trading learning process will not be any simpler. This will take a lot of work. And having a more practical profession will guarantee an income. Forget about trading for now, hit those books like it’s going out of style and pass those exams.

The thing is that i’m able to read some trading stuff and studie the charts all day long but i can’t be concentrated into reading medecine books more than half an hour.

Follow the above and your decision will be made for you pretty soon I would think…

To make money you have to be the best in whatever field you choose, so do you want to become a good trader to earn 100.000$ per month? Start reading tons of books! I think you can earn $ 100.000 per month becoming a great trader, but also becoming a great doctor. But if you think that Forex is different from other occupations, then you’re wrong.
So the point is: no matter how much you earn, what you enjoy doing?
Good luck friend :wink:

The majority of people fail at trading, and trading can be learned part time. I understand that motivation has dipped, but personally I would rather complete the medical qualification, as going into anything without a plan B is a risk, and it sounds as though it is not a risk that you have to take. Paper trade and learn your way through your medical qualification and then address life afterwards with a long list of options would be how I would play it.

My trading is consistent, but I am glad to have a cv and a degree that mean I have options should I need them. The last thing a new trader needs is added pressure. You say that you if you fail at trading you will just be unemployed, like that means nothing. In the current climate I would not take that so lightly.

Trading can work around other work, it is a true 24 hour market, so it seems to me that you have a chance to have the best of both worlds. The fact that you are asking this question on this site suggests that you are at least a little torn between the two.

But just my thoughts, without any wider context on your life!

ST

I think the above two quotes should be thought about very importantly…

I too struggle to give something my best and excel in it if i dont have a passion for the subject… I was once told if you can make money from something which you have a passion for, it wont be just a job, it can become a career… Job and career, theres a difference…

At the same time, your first post sounds as if you have not yet realised the work that it takes to be a successful trader, it seems you may still be illusioned as many other newbies to the business are that this field of work will be a financial quick fix in life… All worthwhile ventures are paved with obstacles… Its about how you react to the obstacles that determine where you finish in the race…

Good Luck in whatever you decide to do…

Sanj

Insidertrading,
You need to have a good think about it. If you cannot read a medical journal for more than half an hour, how will you go analysing a trading screen, or learning this. If it was as easy as just deciding to trade, why do approx 95% of traders fail.
A life in medicine is a high level field of expertise, and when all the hard base level work is done, the sky is the limit. This can be learned slowly, over time, in your spare time. If you give away medicine, you shut that out of your life. Do you really want that???

I have been learning here solidly for coming close to two years now, and I still regard myself as a learner. I hope to be making regular money soon, but I want to bed in the principals I am learning first.

I really think you should concentrate on Medicine and start this as a little hobby and build that up over time. Don’t shut doors that are currently open to you.

I am not going to sugar coat this. You are a fool if you give up education to study Forex. If Medicine is not for you then choose a different path. Thats whats good about collage you cant change you path. How far are you long. If you are to far to change now then your almost done. You might aswell stick it out.

You should see if you can take a leave of absence from med school. You should be able to start again in next year. Med school is pretty intensive and it is torture if your head just isnt in it. A leave will give you a little free time until school starts again next year. Med school sucks for sure, however its not so bad once you get used to it. You are probably burnt out and hating your life which is understandable. Just take some time off. Pursue forex or whatever and start next year strong.

Well, personally, I think you should diversify your risk, which means, you should pursue your studies (not necessarily medicine if you think that subject is not for you) and pursue a decent instruction in trading either Forex or some other instrument. So you are sure to have at least one “leg” you can stand on in case the other does not work out as expected. Don’t put all your eggs in one basket!
Cheers!

1 Like

When you study finance you come to realise how much of the Industry is on making money (pharmaceuticals) & how little is dedicated to preventative medicine or health. I studied biochemistry & I did eventually get a degree. Interestingly prior to this I studied English Literature & didn’t. Yet it is the literature that is still with me & part of who I am now which is priceless…

If I were in your shoes I would switch to a 3 year degree in something you enjoy…
In hindsight a degree seems to only mark you out as relatively intelligent rather than an expert in any subject, which is useful for any future path (trading or otherwise)…

Medicine isn’t something you can drift through. You’re either good at it or not at all. It sounds as if you don’t have the passion to excel in medicine, which is telling you something. My 2c: get out, because it won’t get any better when you finish your degree (speaking from experience as an ex-engineer who loathed engineering).

Whether forex is a suitable alternative will depend on your skill and thirst to succeed. But always have a Plan B for insurance. As someone suggested, taking leave and perhaps just working for $$$ and practising trading sounds sensible.

Why do 95% fail?

Why did you starts studying medicine in the first place?

Self desire, societal pressure, family pressure, other?

Well if you pursue your doctorate and then become a trader at least you’ll know what to do over most of us when you have a heart attack watching your life savings go down the drain.

I think you have a really deep searching about yourself… If you think Medicine is not for you why do you think Forex Trading is? It’s like when we are kids and we were ask " What do you want to be when you grow up?" I guess you haven’t figure that out yet…as most people do…Figure out what you really want in life without $$ tied into it…If you are only looking where you can make the most money without realizing if that is what you really want to do then you will fail…

Figure out what it is you want and you are passionate about and do it…eventually money will follow…

Good luck…

My husband is the trader in the family and he showed me this post because I am a physician. My speciality is Internal Medicine. Grab a cup of coffee and sit down and shut up because I’m about to go off on you. You need to drop out of med school if you’re just in it for the money. Doctors do not make the money they used to, unless you go into a procedure driven speciality. This requires doing a fellowship. You do not have what it takes to do a fellowship if you’re whining about 2nd year. 2nd year is tough, but it sounds like you spent your time trading and charting rather than studying your textbooks. Its no wonder you failed your exams. You need to speak with a counselor and figure out what you want. Maybe you’re depressed and that’s why you can’t concentrate on studying. Over half of my med school class was seeing counselors because they couldn’t handle being average in a room of people used to being in the top 10% of the class.
Going into medicine for the money is the worse thing possible. You will not serve your patients well. You will be an example of why healthcare costs are so high.
Finally, did you not think these things through before you took a spot away from someone who wanted to be a doctor all of their life? Applications to med school here in the US were at an all time high this year. You took a spot and you don’t even want to practice medicine, you want to make money. Ask any doctor…if you want to make money, major in business.

…this is ridiculous on so many levels. First, people have the freedom to do what ever they want. He earned his spot in med school, as all med students have. If there were better applicants then they would have been chosen. Also, 2nd yr med school in america is widely regarded as one of the hardest years during the entire training in medicine. It is very common for students to have cold feet even during the first year, let alone the 2nd year. Next, medicine is a difficult profession to get in to. Many of these kids are on a nonstop train to becoming a physician from the time they are in high school. They often never get off the train to look around and take in other facets of life. It can be disconcerting to finally be in med school before you figure out there is a whole world out there outside of science classes. It is not really his fault that he just now found something that interests him other than medicine. That doesnt qualify him for being criticized by a physician over the internet. He was looking for advice, thats all. Why dont you put your “bedside manor” hat on and provide some kind of useful advice. Another thing I’d like to mention, I always get annoyed at physicians who complain about not making much money. Seriously, who says that 150K is not much money (and honestly that is pretty low, American docs make more around 200-250K on average).They think they dont make much money because they are notorious for living high on the hog. Many docs blow their money like the world is ending, its really amazing.

Just a few thoughts. Hope it will be of help.

Remember that a study sharpens the mind which will benefit you at what ever you will do in life.

If your only in it for the money you will loose as a (forex) trader. Find what you really love and you will always win.

Why do you need a 100K a month? of even 10K?