Give up medicine studies to become trader?

When you study finance you come to realise how much of the Industry is on making money (pharmaceuticals) & how little is dedicated to preventative medicine or health. I studied biochemistry & I did eventually get a degree. Interestingly prior to this I studied English Literature & didn’t. Yet it is the literature that is still with me & part of who I am now which is priceless…

If I were in your shoes I would switch to a 3 year degree in something you enjoy…
In hindsight a degree seems to only mark you out as relatively intelligent rather than an expert in any subject, which is useful for any future path (trading or otherwise)…

Medicine isn’t something you can drift through. You’re either good at it or not at all. It sounds as if you don’t have the passion to excel in medicine, which is telling you something. My 2c: get out, because it won’t get any better when you finish your degree (speaking from experience as an ex-engineer who loathed engineering).

Whether forex is a suitable alternative will depend on your skill and thirst to succeed. But always have a Plan B for insurance. As someone suggested, taking leave and perhaps just working for $$$ and practising trading sounds sensible.

Why do 95% fail?

Why did you starts studying medicine in the first place?

Self desire, societal pressure, family pressure, other?

Well if you pursue your doctorate and then become a trader at least you’ll know what to do over most of us when you have a heart attack watching your life savings go down the drain.

I think you have a really deep searching about yourself… If you think Medicine is not for you why do you think Forex Trading is? It’s like when we are kids and we were ask " What do you want to be when you grow up?" I guess you haven’t figure that out yet…as most people do…Figure out what you really want in life without $$ tied into it…If you are only looking where you can make the most money without realizing if that is what you really want to do then you will fail…

Figure out what it is you want and you are passionate about and do it…eventually money will follow…

Good luck…

My husband is the trader in the family and he showed me this post because I am a physician. My speciality is Internal Medicine. Grab a cup of coffee and sit down and shut up because I’m about to go off on you. You need to drop out of med school if you’re just in it for the money. Doctors do not make the money they used to, unless you go into a procedure driven speciality. This requires doing a fellowship. You do not have what it takes to do a fellowship if you’re whining about 2nd year. 2nd year is tough, but it sounds like you spent your time trading and charting rather than studying your textbooks. Its no wonder you failed your exams. You need to speak with a counselor and figure out what you want. Maybe you’re depressed and that’s why you can’t concentrate on studying. Over half of my med school class was seeing counselors because they couldn’t handle being average in a room of people used to being in the top 10% of the class.
Going into medicine for the money is the worse thing possible. You will not serve your patients well. You will be an example of why healthcare costs are so high.
Finally, did you not think these things through before you took a spot away from someone who wanted to be a doctor all of their life? Applications to med school here in the US were at an all time high this year. You took a spot and you don’t even want to practice medicine, you want to make money. Ask any doctor…if you want to make money, major in business.

…this is ridiculous on so many levels. First, people have the freedom to do what ever they want. He earned his spot in med school, as all med students have. If there were better applicants then they would have been chosen. Also, 2nd yr med school in america is widely regarded as one of the hardest years during the entire training in medicine. It is very common for students to have cold feet even during the first year, let alone the 2nd year. Next, medicine is a difficult profession to get in to. Many of these kids are on a nonstop train to becoming a physician from the time they are in high school. They often never get off the train to look around and take in other facets of life. It can be disconcerting to finally be in med school before you figure out there is a whole world out there outside of science classes. It is not really his fault that he just now found something that interests him other than medicine. That doesnt qualify him for being criticized by a physician over the internet. He was looking for advice, thats all. Why dont you put your “bedside manor” hat on and provide some kind of useful advice. Another thing I’d like to mention, I always get annoyed at physicians who complain about not making much money. Seriously, who says that 150K is not much money (and honestly that is pretty low, American docs make more around 200-250K on average).They think they dont make much money because they are notorious for living high on the hog. Many docs blow their money like the world is ending, its really amazing.

Just a few thoughts. Hope it will be of help.

Remember that a study sharpens the mind which will benefit you at what ever you will do in life.

If your only in it for the money you will loose as a (forex) trader. Find what you really love and you will always win.

Why do you need a 100K a month? of even 10K?

@insidertrading - We also asked our Facebook friends about your dilemma: BabyPips - This guy is giving up medicine to start... | Facebook

Interesting answers in there that you might want to check out. :slight_smile: (Sorry for the switch up with the avatar PipBandit!)

Don’t we all want that? Anyways, just wanting money is too less. No matter if you go for a doc or a trader. There is a price for everything. Learn to live and love to learn - then you’ll see that money is a price sensitive good. Not the trader selects to get the money - the money selects the trader where it wants to go.

Because they are trying to compete with guys like us who spend every waking moment, be the market open or closed, thinking of new ways to take their money.

On the side note, I actually applaud you for realizing this now before you go into farther in debt (assuming you have student loan,etc. If you don’t, you are one of the lucky one). I would say, why not try trading forex…You never know, maybe this is your true calling…You are not ganna know it until you try.

I come to realize that these kind of opportunity is given to everyone. No one can stop you to trade unless you do … I would say go for it…

Good-luck!!!

Who said anyone needs 100k a month? Would you not take it if you could? Everyone looks at greed as a bad thing but it is not. It can be a very powerful tool if channeled correctly.

I agree with you…we won’t be here ,as trader, if we don’t want more than we have.

It is only a bad thing when it affect other peoples life ( like ponzi-scheme). But here, we are on our own… win or loss.

I suggest to insidertrading to try it and see what happen…

I agree…

I think greed is one of those double edge swords though… A powerful motivator in some cases, but can also make you broke real fast if you dont keep it under control…

Sanj

In my experience, thats quite rare. There’s usually some underlying reason that you want the money.

I found the effort required to make money trading to be far greater than the effort required to complete a university education. I still have all of the reseach material from my PhD in a box in the attic, and looking back, the amount of effort was absolutely trivial in comparison. This is a tough way to make a living.

I dont really know many traders who are particularly motivated by money, its usually something else driving them, freedom to travel, or the intellectual challenge. I know only a handful of doctors, but most of them wanted to be doctors from a very early age, and I guess most would do it regardless of the salary.

The only advice I can give is do something you have a passion for.

It all started with that 1968 Whitman Stock Market Board Game I played as a child; who doesn’t want to trade real money after playing that :stuck_out_tongue:

No, no, this would be way too easy. Studying successfully a subject is a hard thing to accomplish. All of us who studied know this only too well. One must master difficult times to become a real (professional) wo/man who stands his/her ground when things go rough. And things WILL go rough in everybody’s life, that’s for sure!

What [B]insidertrading[/B] needs to ask him/herself is “What is it I’m really passionate about?”, “What is the real incentive for me to pursue medicine?” If the answers only lead to earning tons of money, then I strongly suggest thinking of a different subject to study or quitting university altogether. In my opinion medicine has something to do with the desire to help other people getting well again, fighting against diseases, further the subject and not earning money in the first place.

S/he can still ask him/herself, what am I going to do when I’m wealthy? What is all the money for? Buying cars, houses, going on extensive pleasure trips? Why do I want to have all this? Kinda interesting answers you get once you found answers to them.

No mate, bad idea. Finish the doctor studies first. I trade full time now, but I an an engineer. If things go wrong, you can go back to it. You can trade later. FINISH THE STUDIES !!!