The Disillusioned Trader

What’s in this letter comes of no surprise, but it’s still worth a read

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/opinion/why-i-am-leaving-goldman-sachs.html?pagewanted=2&_r=4&sq=Goldman%20Sachs%20Group%20Inc&st=Search&scp=1

I especially like the paragraph :-
[B]“What are three quick ways to become a leader? a) Execute on the firm’s “axes,” which is Goldman-speak for persuading your clients to invest in the stocks or other products that we are trying to get rid of because they are not seen as having a lot of potential profit. b) “Hunt Elephants.” In English: get your clients — some of whom are sophisticated, and some of whom aren’t — to trade whatever will bring the biggest profit to Goldman. Call me old-fashioned, but I don’t like selling my clients a product that is wrong for them. c) Find yourself sitting in a seat where your job is to trade any illiquid, opaque product with a three-letter acronym.”[/B]

I like the part about ‘winning a bronze medal for table tennis at the Maccabiah Games.’ That’s worth a smile. :slight_smile: But, as they said in another piece about this, ‘it’s easy to be a buddhist after you’ve made your first million.’

More like the musings of a disgruntled employee.

Am sorry to say but over in my part of the woods, you have to be an exceptional piece of nincompoop to actually believe that a bank, trading house or any other business associated with the market has your best interest in its heart when you decide to part with your money.

Fund managers and other banks here charge you a premium regardless whether they make money for you or not. Management fees applies regardless of how bad of a retard traded for you. And if you had made money, than there is another slice taken off that also as an extra.

The local dailies used to publish yearly pullouts comparing all the funds and how much they made or lost in a neat pullout. It stopped doing so five or so years ago when it became apparent that nearly all of them were showing losses of 40 % to 70% of total clients money.

And they still charged a premium.