Problems with EA/MT4..Please help

Hello Fellow Traders,

To save myself sometime, i thought of creating EA and then to monitor the trades at a high level instead of being glued to the PC…however, the EA is not getting enabled no matter what I do…I have tried all steps on various threads but to no avail …here is what I have tried so far-

1. Enabled live trading
  2. Clicked on the EA icon (to make it green)
  3. Uninstalled and re-installed MT4, put EA in experts folder…still shows as inactive
  4. recreated the EA ’
  5. Deleted and re-added the EA.

Attached is a screenshot from my machine. Any ideas are very welcome.:60:

Thanks,

AKS

Hi,
At the top right corner where the name of the EA is displayed, are you getting an x or a frowning smilie face?

Hi SweetPip,

I am not able to attach the EA to the chart to begin with. I created other EAs which are working fine, but this one is not getting attached- it just shows to be ‘offline’. I am not able to get to the smiley or frowney face stage.

Thanks,

AKS

did it compile?

What does it say in the experts tab when you attach it?

It says- ’ Cannot open the .ex4 file’ for that specific EA. I dd the same thing for other EA’s…it compiled without issues. What do I do?

If you made it with one of those free ea makers there’s probably an error in their code.

If you wrote the code it would not compile if there was an error.

Hi Goldylox,

The error is fixed. One of the variables was not defined properly (which is weird because other EA that I created uses the same settings). I fixed that and compiled again in the editor. It worked. Lets hope it continues to do so. Thanks for your post.

AKS

Here are the steps that I followed-

• Open the EA in the editor (comes with MT4)
  • Press F5 (to start the compilation)
  • Read the error log (at the bottom)
  • Double click on error to get to the exact location.
  • Try to fix it (google helps!!)
  • Save and F5 again
  • Do this till all errors go…
  • Once all errors are gone, you will get a success message and EA will be automatically active in the navigator pane.

A couple of things to keep in mind-
mq4 file is something that MT4 DOESNOT use to run EA. It is VERY high level and for us to read etc. MT4 needs the .ex4 file- which is nothing but the compiled mq4 code in a language (machine language/binary) that the platform understands. Unless the ex4 file is in the correct folder (compiling puts it in the correct folder if original mq4 was in the experts folder), the EA wil not be ‘active’ or in usable state- so even though it shows up, it will not be active.

Feel free to contact me if you are having issues (I am no expert but I can give it a shake) :45:.

Cheers,

AKS

yo AKS, you code well?

I need a code" EA to sleep after so many pips in a day" then fire back up at 00:01

Currently, I can set a time frame, but just want it to stop trading after 40 pips profit, then start back up the following day.

THanks if you can, I just cant figure it out,

I use EA Builder,

Hey MNRS,

I code but am not very familiar with mql4…planning to learn it soon though…Couple of suggestions-

1. Check web for code snippets matching your strategy…and if you find one close enough…edit it using the editor (which is not very robust unfortunately)…you can post it here and i can give it a shot in my sparetime…but not sure will be able to deliver it…
    OR :64:
  2. I was having similar issue with my strategy…i automated it as much as i could (with the limitations of the EA builder ofcourse) and now it serves as my ‘robotic’ arm…:D…instead of a full fledged automated system…it is difficult to write/implement an algorithm that will figure out the whole market, all the time :31:… you may want to automate it as much as you can and then set triggers/notifications to tell you when to use what…for example you can turn the EA on and off every day based on the pips captured or just at the end of the day…just a suggestion

AKS

Thanks for the input AKS,

The robotic arm thing is good stuff, I use them like that also. Im just rying to get his working without intervention. Set and forget, for 6 months.

Currently, I just ran a Backtest, and hit 85% over a years time,

$500 starting balance
$1.8 Billion gross
$28 million Net

Thats with 30 pip SL and 30 pip TP, with a 3pip TrailStop

Wow!! That is an awesome result… All the best!!

I would say that if you are confident enough, forget about the Robot and trade it yourself… :slight_smile: 1 Year= 28 M !!.. its worth it… Also, which broker do you use? Compounding at those levels would mean pretty massive orders- even for forex…it would be absolutely critical to get good (very) spreads and avoid any stop hunting…massive orders like that would be a juicy target for the brokers…Keep us posted on what happens…

Hey MNRS,

Check out Molanis EA- they have a time feature. That may be of help to you. I saw it so thought of letting you know.

Thanks,

AKS

Hi

I had the same problem but my EA compiles without any errors and it shows on my EA on MT4. However, I can not attach it. dragging and double clicking does not do anything