Volume in forex question

It is my understanding that one disadvantage forex has compared to stocks and options is lack of real volume data. In forex, it’s not possible to know the volume that’s being traded during any given period because there is there is no centralized market.

Yet in MT4, the volume can be displayed across the bottom of the chart. So how does MT4 know the volume? I assume it’s using a formula to guess the actual volume. If so, how reliable is it?

It is most likely what is commonly referred to as tick volume. That’s the number of times price moves over a given period. It does not represent transactional volume as you would see in an exchange-based market. There have been lengthy discussions here in the forum as to its value or lack thereof.

It’s also tick volume FOR THAT BROKER. So if you pick a small player, you will get distorted views.

Their is a good opportunity to earn income from the Forex trading as compared to the stock trading since in the stock markets we are not sure what will actually happen.

Actually the knowledge required to be able to successful trade in Forex is what makes it more profitable.

Since when do we know what’s going to happen in the forex market?

As a lot will know I have studied VSA in depth in Forex, and tick volume in my opinion is as good as any real volume data, I don’t use volume to trade with any longer, but on my VSA journey I learnt a heck of a lot about market dynamics, and I can’t really knock it, but I always gravitate to the most simple trading approach I can find within the scope of what I’m studying.

The problem I found with VSA mostly was not the actual Volume data or applying it, but the relative volatility of trading forex, I found you can read as much into your chart using price action/candle stick reading as you can combining volumes, and if simple works, I will always go for simple, the simpler your strategy the less opportunity there is for mistakes.

Besides VSA is not just about Volumes it is a lot about price action, and Wyckoff teaches you a lot about market moves.

You mean you don’t know? :slight_smile: Do you not use the esoteric indicator?

I guess some people are just slow. and here I thought he had a super decoder ring.