MT4 Lots Explanation

hi all, i was wondering how lots work in MT4 when placing trades. i always use 0.05 lots in my demo account and am under the impression that it is a percentage of whatever the trading account is currently at. so trading 0.05 lots with a $100 account will be one tenth as much as trading 0.05 lots of a $1000 account. is this true?

if so, does this mean if i perfect a trading method with one lot size on a small account, i will never have to change lot sizes as the account grows as long as i stick to my trading system?

good question !

No.

For ease of use 1 lot is approximately $10, so 0.1 lot is $1 & 0.01 lot is $0.1 (10 cents)

(These are all approx. because 1 lot = 100 000 units & units can vary.)

So 0.05 lots = 50 cents.

thanks for clearing this up daydreamer

so if i am trying to target a monthly average percentage of account growth i will have to manually increase my lot sizes as the account grows? is there a way to place trades based on percentage of account size? i read in some charting software there is

just throw in my 0.000002 dinar,

Yes, you have to manually adjust…

BUT, here is a link for something that might intrest you…

Forex Tools Cafe - Metatrader Indicators, EAs and the tools you need to trade.

Look for _ Fixed Risk Scrips_

scroll down to " Older stuff" ( In red bar ) then the 4th file down…

very appreciated thank you!

hi thanks Pipsahoy - moneysleeps I tried placing the downloaded unzipped files into metatrader script folder with no success, I couldn’t find the folder expert/scripts. This will be my ineptitude do you have any tips ?

On your desktop, right click the shortcut for your MT4 Platform, then click- Open fFile Location_, once there, scroll down to expert, open that folder, then scroll down to scripts and paste them there…

You need to unzip them first tho, so do that, THEN copy and paste…

hi I think you are probably wasting your time trying to help me ! have spent an hour going round in circles to carry out your instructions if i right click on Metatrader4 at the top I get ‘open’ not ‘open file location’ - the only place I can find the script folder is in metaeditor ( im using windows xp pro ) am sorry

metatrader folder/experts folder/scripts folder

i can’t see any of these in the custom indicator menu in mt4 after putting them in the scripts folder. they only show up in the metaquotes editor. do they have to be compiled or something first?

they are in your SCRIPTS folders, below custom indicators,

ah yes, in the navigator! thanks